Default Sites around Arkansas, Missouri, Tennesee, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi ...

I am brand new here! I am living in Arkansas about six more months before I move back to Oregon and am a huge fan of weekend Road Trips. I have two kids (10 and 12) who love to travel as well. I would like to have weekend trips to see all the interesting stuff around us. Any thoughts or advice? Places we just HAVE to see while we are here?

We absolutely love hiking, mountain biking, camping (most weekends we will camp in state parks if at all possible) and anything outdoors. We do like some cities but not just for the sake of being in a city. Jake loves anything historical, military or survivalist type stuff. Hannah loves history, outdoors, food (Dying to go to the original Kentucky Fried Chicken!) or just quirky places.

I have three day weekends so hoping that most of our trips could be Friday afternoon through Monday evening but a few longer trips tossed in for fun.

Would love input! Thank you in advance!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A couple places that immediately jump to mind as things I think you'd enjoy would be Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky and Tennessee. Fort Donaldson, a key civil war site, is just to the south of the park. Mammoth Cave is also not far away, and would be right along the way, if you were continuing onto Corbin to visit KFC's birthplace.

There are lots more resources on this site to check out - including our A to Z list of things to do in all 50 states.

Southern California

Default Missouri!

Missouri has a lot to offer. To add to the Missouri list (from Michael's link): there is The Laura Ingalls Wilder Rocky Road Farm in Mansfield, which is just east of Springfield on US-60.

There are several lakes in AR and MO, but the ones I'm more familiar with are Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks. Truman Lake is north of Springfield on US-65. Lake of the Ozarks is between Springfield and Jefferson City on US-54.

Also not mentioned in the other post is the Daniel Boone Home in Defiance, MO. His burial site, as well as several other historical attractions, is in Marthasville, MO, which is between I-70 and I-44 on MO-47, north of Washington MO (which is right on the MO River).

Lewis and Clark places are all over Missouri, because of their expedition along that river. The Katy Trail is a bike or hike trail that goes all the way across the state. Check out Katy Trail State Park for more information.

Are any of you Disney fans? Check out Walt Disney's Hometown Museum in Marceline. (It's on our plans for next year's trip.)

Then there's the General John J. Pershing Boyhood Home, near Laclede, MO.

Missouri is full of history, and of course, you have to take the bad with the good. Outlaw Jesse James was killed in St Joseph, and his home is now open to the public.

Last edited by DonnaR57; 07-29-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added more

Tucson, AZ

Default A Couple More

Without knowing your exact location, but taking your comments about weekend RoadTrips, kids, and outdoor activities to heart - and trying not to repeat advice already given above - here are two other destinations within a half day's drive of Little Rock:

Vicksburg MS. Site of a major Civil War battle, and near the Natchez Trace Parkway, a small petrified forest, and a national wildlife refuge. Camping is available at Rocky Springs and in the Delta National Forest.

Mena AK. Smack dab in the middle of number of outdoor venues including Ouachita National Forest, the Talimena National Scenic Byway, Talimena State Park, the Cossatot River State Park-Natural Area , and Queen Wilhelmina State Park.