1. Default trip advice for week two of a two week trip starting inlas vegas

I am planning a two week trip in August, wife, and two boys age 10 and 12. Week one I am happy with but need advice for week two. Week 1 sat (coming in late sat) sun, monday in vegas, plan do to red rock and the hoover, tues to GC staying there overnight. Wed to mount zion until sat am. Back to vegas to drop someone off at the airport. I would then like to get to yosemite for a few days, through tioga pass and would love to include kings canyon. I don't want a 7+ hour driveand would prefer to have no more than four hours in any one day. Any suggestions as my focus is sightseeing but I wouldn't be upset with san fran or a drive down 1 on the coast. I know, too much to see and not enough time. Thats why I need your help. Awesome site by the way!

Default Tight on time.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You could certainly get to the places you mention in your second week and presumably return to Vegas ? You could break the drive to Yosemite with a little sightseeing in Death valley and an overnight in the Bishop area, although it would be about a 5.5 hour drive plus stops for the sightseeing. It's possible to include Kings canyon/Sequoia and the coast, but you have to balance it with the pace you want to travel at. To get the best from Yosemite you could do with 2 nights there, although you could just take one and start heading towards Kings C later on the third day of this part of your trip. It's going to take at least 5 hours to get from Kings canyon to SF, but it's really not worth stopping for a night in between. From SF you could head south to Cambria along the coast and stop for a night before heading back to Vegas. From Cambria to Vegas is going to be about a 7.5 hour drive with a straight drive through, but it's necessary to fit in everything else.

If you want a more relaxed affair then you should consider dropping Kings Canyon from your plans, or the coast and spend quality time in the National parks.

3. Default

Thanks for the feedback. I will drop the Kings Canyon and look forward to another trip down the road. Any feedback on Red Rock Canyon versus the Valley Of Fire? Also, two nights in Yosemite sounds like a great idea. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-25-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Quote removed for easier reading.

Default Thoughts.

Valley of Fire would make a nice little detour heading back to Vegas from Zion NP. You could visit Red rock canyon as a small day trip from Vegas. Have you booked the first part of your trip ? I'm thinking you might not have as much time as you would like at the Grand canyon, what with visiting Hoover dam on the way and then having to drive to Zion next day. Whereas Zion is one of my favourite parks and you can easily spend 3 or 4 days there, you would of had the option to spend a night elsewhere and break the journey to Zion, such as at Monument Valley or Page AZ which is convenient for Antelope canyon, Lake Powell and Glen canyon.

5. Default

The first week is booked. The two full days in Vegas will include a morning trip to the Hoover dam and likely one late afternoon trip to Valley of Fire which I understand is only one hour from Vegas. I personally can't spend two full days on the strip. I'm hoping to be at the GC by 1:00 pm tues and spend the day and next morning at the GC. This will get us late into Zion Wednesday but we are there until Saturday morning. I know what won't be enough but it should wet our taste for a trip back. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Valley of Fire would make a nice little detour heading back to Vegas from Zion NP. You could visit Red rock canyon as a small day trip from Vegas. Have you booked the first part of your trip ? I'm thinking you might not have as much time as you would like at the Grand canyon, what with visiting Hoover dam on the way and then having to drive to Zion next day. Whereas Zion is one of my favourite parks and you can easily spend 3 or 4 days there, you would of had the option to spend a night elsewhere and break the journey to Zion, such as at Monument Valley or Page AZ which is convenient for Antelope canyon, Lake Powell and Glen canyon.