Default Road trip from PA to Grand Canyon

We are a retired couple planning a road trip by car from PA to the Grand Canyon. Our trip would take place next year around july august period. We have no problems getting around physically, so some activities along the way would be great. Looking for suggestions for places to visit & decent places for over night stays. Time is not a problem. Can anyone suggest things to do at the Grand Canyon besides viewing. Maybe a great hotel stop for a few nights. We may also continue the trip to California then head back through Arizona. Any suggestions would be great!

South of England.

Default So many options.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With such a trip that covers many miles, lots of attractions and possibly plenty of time it's hard to come up with menaingful suggestions when there are thousands to choose from along many different routes. What I would suggest you do is take a look around RTA for ideas [search the forums and check out the planning pages above] with a good map to hand and when you have a few dots on the map we can help fill in the blanks. As this is a round trip you should look at different routes on the way out to the one coming back. There are many other great National Parks in the Four corners region including Rocky Mountain, Black Canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce canyon and Zion NP. If you continue to Cali then Death valley, Yosemite and Sequoia NP's could be included as well as the fabulous coast between San Fran and LA.

As you are retired is there a need to travel right in the middle of peak season ? Since the Kids have grown up and left home and we no longer need to worry about school holidays, we prefer to travel Sept/October when the largest crowds have gone.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Luxury of Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

When I was younger, travel was often about how far could I get in a day, how many states or countries could I fit into a day, or even just how many so-called 'must sees' I could get to. Now that I have them time to devote to travel that it deserves, I find myself 'doing' far less but enjoying it a whole lot more. There's a reason that "Take the time to smell the roses." is an axiom. A travel style that I've found that suits my new lifestyle and that you might enjoy is to not be traveling all the time I'm on the road, but rather to move from enjoyable location to enjoyable location every few days, staying put and exploring the various sites that each location has to offer. String together enough of those mini-trips and pretty soon you've moved a good distance down the road.

Looking for short stay locations on the order of 400 or so miles apart along your general route, I'd suggest Lexington/Louisville KY (horse farms, the Ohio River, bourbon distilleries, etc); the Ozarks (lakes, mountains, Branson, caves), Oklahoma City (the Memorial, Indian and Cowboy museums, Woodie Guthrie and 'Okie' country, etc.) Santa Fe/Albuquerque (Spanish heritage, Taos Pueblo, hot air balloons, Petroglyph National Monument, etc). You can, of course choose other Rest and Relaxation locations that intrigue you more than the ones I've listed, but it's the style that's important, not the particular sites. And the distances between sites are relatively short so that you can make two or three quick stops as you move from one to the other to see other places and to break up the day's drive.

As for "decent places for over night stays", if you're only going to be in a town for a night or two, then a hotel or good motel should suit your needs. If there's a particular chain that you've enjoyed in the past, then I'd join their loyalty/rewards program and stay with them more often, racking up free nights as you do so. If you're going to be staying longer in a particular location in order to explore the surrounding area, then you might want to look for something a bit more homey (literally) and do a vacation rental through sites like VRBO, HomeAway, and others.

Thank for that information. I will work on my routes before I ask for more info. We do have a motor home & have been traveling with it but with the price of gas & campgrounds going up in price, we thought it would be more beneficial to just take the car. Since time is not an issue I too like the thought of staying in one place for a bit. But we do have a few things we definitely want to see the Grand Canyon & Yellowstone are two. I will also take your advise about rental vacation homes. Thanks again.