1. Default Relocating to Los Angeles from New Jersey - Edgewater

Greetings from NJ

I will be relocating to Los Angeles California (Lomita) from Edgewater NJ (North Jersey) and I am planning on driving there my 2012 KIA Sportage. I will be leaving NJ on Thursday August 8th and I hope to get to Los Angeles on Saturday or Sunday.

I must get to LA before or on sunday since my buddy needs to get back to work in NY on Monday. He will be flying back on sunday night to NY so we need to get to LA on or before Sunday August 11.

I wanted to find out what gas stations are the most common in this trip so I can apply for the credit card and I can dump all my gas cost in there. I don't like to carry that much cash with me and I don't want to mixed my other expenses with this trip. Currently I used Exxon for my gas expenses. Not sure if Exxon is popular on this route. I remember when I drove south from NJ to Florida, I couldn't find one Exxon gas station but Amoco was almost in every stop.

I am driving with my college buddy and we both can pull at least 12 hours per day.....We don't want to take to many breaks unless is necessary since we want to arrive to LA the earliest possible to spend time with family there. According to mapquest, there are 3 routes and all three average 47 hours in total driving with no stops. Where would you guys recommend we "must" stop. This is my first time going from east to west. Are there any particular areas we must avoid or be careful not to drive at night. Any tips, in general, are much appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Not a Chance

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Edgewater to Los Angeles is nearly 2800 miles, which is a hard minimum of five days driving, and even that is pushing it. There is simply no way that you can make this drive safely in four days (700 miles a day) or three (900+ miles a day!!!). Even having two drivers is no help unless you are already on completely opposite circadian rhythms, and I strongly doubt that this is the case. Unless you can leave Wednesday morning, you are going to be risking your lives and those of every other driver on the road you come near. Your worries about a credit cards, routes, and visiting family all pale into insignificance if you are going to blithely ignore the biggest problem you face. The fact that you will get tired to past the point of being unsafe if you try to do what you plan. Computer generated driving times are a fantasy. They assume that you can and will drive at or above the speed limit for every second of every minute of every hour you are on the road. they make no allowances for traffic, fuel stops, meal breaks, restroom usage, construction delays, or any of the myriad other things that will slow you down.

Find a fifth day and plan on getting a good night's sleep in a real bed each and every night.

Joplin MO

I wholeheartedly agree with Buck. You guys need to get on the road Wednesday morning.

There is no one "universal" chain of gas stations going cross country any more. If you need to keep the gas expenses separate, get a dedicated Visa or Mastercard.

There is no more Amoco, they got bought out by BP years ago.

You can use your Exxon card in Mobil stations.

Southern California

My husband and I have driven to north central NJ from SoCal, and will concur that this is a minimum 5-day, 4 nights drive. Each of those days will be long enough. Don't make them longer by trying to do this in 4 days. Two people don't help, take it from us. The non-driver's job is to be a 2nd pair of eyes for the driver, and you can't do that if you're asleep. No matter what you do, you're not going to get the best sleep every night, either. Don't drive at night -- take it from us from experience, you do better if you keep your body clock to what it's used to. If you can, get a good early start every morning, drive 10-11 hours (600 miles), then find a good place to stay overnight. If you enjoy it, find a place with a pool or hot tub -- for us, this is a great way to relax and let the visions of the road go away for awhile.

Night 1: Bristol, VA area (600 mi)
    Night 2: Little Rock, AR area (620 mi)
    Night 3: Amarillo, TX (600 mi)
    Night 4: Flagstaff, AZ (600 mi)
    Night 5: Lomita, CA (485 mi)

For the record -- this takes you I-80 west into PA, where you catch I-81 South. Take that into Tennessee where you catch I-40. I-40 takes you to Barstow, CA where you catch I-15. If it were me, I'd catch CA-91 west towards the Lomita area. This is the fastest way to go.

You COULD take I-80 across and then drop down I-76 into Denver, where you'd catch I-70 west to I-15 south, but unfortunately this route has several cons: tolls and going around Chicago, which is TIME CONSUMING.

As for the gasoline issue: prepay a Visa card and you should be fine. It can also cover your overnights.

Melbourne, Australia

Default A steady pace.

Stanley, anyone who has driven cross country will agree that five days is the absolute minimum. I've done it several times in six days, and that was tiring enough. Treat this like a marathon - steady as you go - and you will have the energy to do a sprint into Lomita and get your buddy on his flight with time to spare.

To help a little further, be sure to find accommodation on the western side of the cities mentioned above. That way you will not have to compete with rush hour traffic next morning.

Have a safe trip.

Joplin MO

Donna's route adds about 150 miles to the trip. A much better way would be to take I-80 all the way into Ohio, then I-76/I-71 to Columbus, then I-70 to I-44 to I-40 to I-15.

Planning on 4 long days and 1 shorter day on the road, look at overnights near:

Springfield OH
    Springfield or Joplin MO
    Tucumcari or Santa Rosa NM
    Kingman AZ

All these cities have a good selection of reasonably priced hotels and negligible rush hour traffic. The only tolls along this route are on I-44 in OK, $4 between MO and Tulsa, $4 between Tulsa and OKC. Unfortunately, OK does not accept EZ-Pass.

This schedule will also keep you out of major metros in rush hour. Suggested bypasses are:

Columbus: I-270 around the NW side
    Indy: I-465 around the S side
    STL: I-255 around the S side
    Tulsa: I-44 straight through
    OKC: Stay on I-44 through town to I-40 (do not take I-35 to I-40, I-40 is torn up between I-35 and I-44) (Kilpatrick Tpke around NW is an option, but it's toll, you will need exact change, 2 booths, total $2.30)

If you are going straight to LAX and not Lomita first, off of I-15, take 210/605/105. To Lomita, I-15/91/110 is the best bet.