1. Default New Orleans - New York

My boyfriend and I are planning a road trip for early December from New Orleans to New York, going up to Memphis, across to Tennessee, Kentucky etc up to the east coast/New York. We've got about 2 weeks for the trip. And that's all we've got for details so far!

Any tips, interesting things to see, advice on driving conditions (we're Australians, snow/ice etc is a worry!) would be great!

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

Snow and ice are always going to be a question when traveling in December. Nobody can predict the future weather!

What I'd do is get a good map of the USA or an atlas, and start looking at what interests you. Mark what catches your eye. A route just might start to jump out at you. Two weeks is a good amount of time!

Among things that I think about when I think of this possible trip: Natchez Trace Parkway, Memphis and Nashville, Great Smoky Mountains NP (Tennessee), Mammoth Cave NP (Kentucky), Appalachian area including Skyline Drive in Shenandoah NP (Virginia), Washington DC, Civil War battlefield sites, Amish country of Pennsylvania, the coastal drive of the Carolinas and Virginia, and so much more. Of course, the music of New Orleans and the many sites in New York. Those are just a few ideas to start with.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Starter Set: Roads and Sights

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

New Orleans to New York can be an incredibly entertaining, scenic, and relaxing drive if done right, and a horrible, mind-numbing slog if done wrong. Since you've got the time and the inclination to do it right, let's start you out with a few roads and attractions that you should try to include in your journey.

First up, some roads. There are two that you should try to make the backbone of your drive, the Natchez Trace Parkway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The first runs from Natchez MS to Nashville TN, while the second runs from just west of Asheville NC up to Waynesboro VA (and joins the Skyline Drive which continues up to Front Royal VA. You can certainly include those roads and others in various parts of your trip. After all, with two weeks, you don't have to go by anything even remotely like a straight line between Point 'A' and Point 'B'.

Speaking of Points, a few that you might want to include in your journey would be the Land Between the Lakes, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Shenandoah National Park, the National Mall, and others. It's the 'others' that we'll need some input from you to help you with. What kinds of places, sights, and attractions are you interested in including in your trip?

4. Default

Thanks for the starters!

Glad to hear that it's a reasonable trip/timeframe. Neither of us have ever been to the US - we're coming over for a friend's wedding at the end of November, hence the December trip!

Our basic idea is to soak up some "southern culture" on the way through, music, food etc. As for particular personal interests my boyfriend (in the bar industry) is keen to visit some bourbon distilleries, and I'd be interested in any good horse-y experiences.

Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by soph View Post
    Thanks for the starters!

As for particular personal interests my boyfriend (in the bar industry) is keen to visit some bourbon distilleries, and I'd be interested in any good horse-y experiences.
    Then it seems that KENTUCKY would be a good place to plan to go. There's the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, which would take you to several bourbon distilleries. For you, there's the Kentucky Horse Park.

6. Default

Ok! So we've gotten ourselves a biiig map of the US and plotted out what seems like a reasonable route.

New Orleans - Jackson (Mississippi) along the river to Natchez and along the Natces trace trail to Jackson. One night.

Jackson-Memphis direct route. 2 nights in Memphis.

Memphis - Nashville, scenic/direct depends how we feel. 2 nights Nashville.

Nashville - Lexington/louisville/possibly stop somewhere along the way - 3 nights in the Kentucky area generally.

Lexington - charleston west virginia. One night.

Charleston - the mountains (? there are ski resorts there, not sure of towns). One night.

Mountains - washington DC. One night.

Washington - new york.

Sound good? We still have a couple of days up our sleeves to add in an extra night here or there. Most of the driving legs look to be around 3-4 hr mark (according to google maps of course :P)

And we're thinking of leavig New Orleans on the saturday of the Thanksgiving weekend... will that avoid the traffic or would we be better to go Monday? I figured the Sunday would be a nightmare?

Bonny Hills , Australia

We just done some of that area in our recent road trip.
    Something like this

New Orleans - Natchez Trace to Tupelo (Elvis home town) - Memphis - Chattanooga - Jack Daniels Distillery- Nashville - Corvette Museum at Bowling Green, Kentucky. Four Roses Dilsillery and a few others before Lexington. I stopped off at Wild Turkey. Kentucky horse park would be a good stop off. From Lexington we headed to Great Smokey Mountain National Park and then followed the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah NP before getting to Washington DC.
    Lots of othe great places too.