I have been to Tetons and Yellowstone. I have 9 days to get to Minneapolis, and I scheduled 3 nights in Custer, SD.
I don't like driving more than 5 hours a day, but I will if I have to, especially if I can break up the day with a couple of cool stops. Yes, now I have 3 drivers, but that doesn't mean we like being in the car...
I'd like to stop somewhere wonderful in Idaho for one night then push on to somewhere great in Montana for one night, then on to Badlands and finish in Minneapolis.
• Where should I stop in Idaho? I am trying Coeur D'Alene but all the good hotels don't seem to have space for the 5 of us (including 3 young to old teenagers).
• Where should I stop in Montana? Do I need more than one stop given my wish to limit driving?
• Any tips for Badlands?
o Also, is there a way to truly be impressed by Mt Rushmore without entering the den of crass that I've heard described by some in the National Park?
• Family is National Treasure movie fans. Husband wants to go to "Cibola". Is that possible??
• Do you think I can reasonably make it all the way from Custer or Mt Rushmore to Minneapolis in one day?
• Where might I stop after Custer/Mt Rushmore before Minneapolis for one night, if necessary?
Before writing, I did try to do much research. Thank you!!