Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Andrew Knorr Guest

Default Sacramento Ca to sturgis SD and back

Riding Harley's and we have a week each direction can any one suggest routes and places to see?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

With a week each way, the options for routes and things you could see are nearly endless.

Certainly one option would be to head towards Grand Teton and Yellowstone, and of course, driving across the Beartooth Highway.

The other way, you could head down to Colorado and Utah, taking in any number of the National Parks in those states, and heading back across Nevada via US-50, aka the loneliest road.

Again, those are just some of your options, the details will really depend upon you, what you are looking for, and what you are interested in.

Andrew Knorr Guest

Not sure what's there to see. We would like to take two different routes so as to see as much as possible. I was looking for suggestions on must see places.

We really don't believe in "must see" because it would require everyone to have the same tastes and interests. Roadtrips are about finding things that are interesting to you. The number of potential "must see to you" things along the way are in the thousands, and without knowing what you are looking for, no one else is going to be able to narrow them down for you.

I've given you a few ideas to start with, and there are lots more resources on this site, including many articles, other forum posts, and of course, the RTA Map Center where you can see many recommended attraction ideas right along your route.

Default The articles.

You may find this article explains much of the philosophy behind all the points made above. With the time you have you may find implementing some of the ideas will make for a great adventure.

There are lots more similarly interesting articles on this site.

Lifey

On RTA, we believe that a "must see place" is someplace that you want to see, not something that others decree that you should see. That said, Michael mentioned several national parks -- Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, and the ones in Colorado and Utah.

A loop trip is a perfect opportunity to see things going in each direction. Routing yourself around, you could see the Utah salt flats, Great Salt Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, and some of the Oregon Trail sites in Nebraska on the way up to Sturgis. On the way back, see Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Craters of the Moon NM, and others.

Donna

Andrew Knorr Guest

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "must see". I am looking for suggestions from people who have found fun and interesting things and places to see. I very much appreciate the ideas that you have put out there. A couple of them I had heard of but also some I had not thank you. All suggestions are appreciated.

You may be going through some pretty sparsely populated areas - what is the reasonable range of your fuel tanks on those bikes?

Default Different Words for the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Knorr View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "must see". I am looking for suggestions from people who have found fun and interesting things and places to see
    "fun and interesting" and "must see" are essentially interchangable, because you still haven't told us a single thing about what you might be interested in, or what you might consider to be "fun."

The ball is really in your court here. You have been given some broad suggestions at this point, but until you tell us a little more about what you are looking for, and probably do a little more work yourself to figure out some major things that you want to see, no one on this or any other forum is going to really be able to provide much more help or useful advice. We'd love to help you put together a great trip, but you need to take an active roll in that process too.

Andrew Knorr Guest

Mr Midwest Michael I would like to thank you for doing a great job of making a guy feel welcome to YOUR forum. Your a bit on the sarcastic side for my taste. If I knew exactly the route I wanted to take and exactly the sites I wanted to see I would research those specifically. I was first look for as I said suggestions, that I could then follow up and research.
    I would though like to thank the other people who put ideas out there for me to think about. Thank you for your help.