Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Circumnavigation of US

We will be leaving Vancouver Island on a 7 month trip around the US towing a 30 foot 5th wheel trailer in mid September. Our travel plans are flexible but so far we plan to spend a few weeks going across I90 with stays around Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore. Because we will be hauling a trailer we would be interested in comments on the best route to avoid the highest passes etc. From Mount Rushmore area east we have not yet planned any particular stops except into Windsor Ontario to visit family for 2 weeks the second week of October. Around October 20th we will head south and want to see some of the eastern coastline but not spend a lot of time in large cities. So far we plan to stay in Myrtle Beach for a while and also visit Charleston and Savannah. We have reservations for 2 months in Florida starting December 1st. In February we plan to head toward New Orleans, Arizona, California and up the coast to BC arriving home sometime in April. We have really planned where we should visit as we head back west except for New Orleans and the Coastal Highway from California to Washington.

We would love to hear your comments and suggestions for our trip including any information on weather concerns, best routes to travel pulling a trailer or any other issues we should consider. Although we have often spent time in the US, this will be the first time we have driven around all of the US.
    Thanks
    Dave

Welcome!

First things first, do you have your passports and other items sorted out? I believe you are limited to 6 months in the US without a visa.

Yes we have all those items figured out. We will actually be fine with timeframes because we are going back into Canada during the 1st month so when we leave Ontario for the US we will be there for less than 6 months.

Default Stick to the Interstates Where Possible

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's not the altitude that's a killer. Today's cars all pretty much have fuel injection rather than carburetors. What will slow you down are grades. Interstate Highways (Motorways, Autoroutes, Autostrada, etc.) are built to specifications which limit grades (the steepness of a climb) to 6% or less, and when grades get close to that those roads often add another lane for slower traffic such as yourself. In your case, this means BC-99/I-5 from Vancouver down to Seattle and I-90 over the Rockies to Yellowstone and on to Mount Rushmore. You should be fine entering and leaving Yellowstone on US-191 from Bozeman or US-89 from Livingston. Do not, however, try to use US-212 northeast of the park through Red Lodge to Laurel MT in an attempt to reconnect with I-90 for a visit to Little Bighorn National Battlefield. And do not try using US-14 east out of Yellowstone as a shortcut to Rapid City SD. Both of those routes include steep sections with multiple switchbacks.

The same general rule applies between Windsor and the coast. I-77 from Cleveland down into North Carolina is your best bet for crossing the Appalachians. You shouldn't have major problems using 'US' numbered highways or even a few state roads that are multi-lane or even near freeway quality. I would suggest that if you find yourself on smaller two-lane roads that you keep an eye on the traffic behind you and if you build up a trail of three, four, or more cars, that you pull off where possible as a courtesy and let that traffic get by you.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks or the comments...the road tips will help.
    Dave

When do you anticipate being in Arizona? If you are planning to be there before Easter, you might want to make sure that you have reservations, especially if going to the southern part of the state. Snowbirds love Benson, Tucson, Casa Grande (and area), Phoenix (and area) and Yuma. Most head home anywhere between mid-March and Easter, though some stay later. (We saw a lot of British Columbia plates in Yuma area in January and February.)

What are you towing with?

Donna

I expect we will be in Arizona early to mid March so I will look at some possible reservations. We have a 2500HD Silverado with a 6 litre gas engine and a 4.10 differential and we are pulling a Titanium 24E29 5th wheel with a gvwr of about 8800 lbs.
    Dave

That's going to be painful at high altitudes on steep grades with that gas engine. That's turbodiesel country.

I have a good transmission cooler and we will just take our time :)
    Does anyone have any comments on places we should see along (or close to) I90 between Mount Rushmore and Detroit. Also any comments on what we should see between Detroit and Myrtle Beach...we are flexible on the route we take going south. Thanks again for any comments.

Well we wanted information about traveling across the US on our long trip in the fall and winter but I guess someone moved my questions out of fall and winter even though it is only one long trip we are taking...