Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help Narrow Down My 30 Day NY-LA Roundtrip Roadtrip

So, It'll be a 25, 27, 6, and a 15 yr old going on a cross country roadtrip. We want to see some of the major wonders, visit some national parks, hike, hot air balloon, white water rafting, grand canyon, Sand Dunes, camping out, death valley, niagara falls, swim in a lake, eat bbq, visit farm/cowboys. We'd prefer no more than 3-4 nights at a nice hotel, probably in a city. The rest divided between cheap hotels, camping.
    I made a basic map, and need help nailing down the likelihood of making this happen realistically. What places should we cut out to maximize time in each location.

Map is here.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-06-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Link format.

Default One Adjustment?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Having a look at your map, and assuming that it's the destinations that are important rather than the route, there's one area in particular that could use a bit of adjustment and that's between Los Angeles and Big Bend National Park. As it is, you seem to be planning to use I-10 to El Paso with an up-and-back detour to Sedona. There is a much better alternative. Leave the L.A. area on I-15 north up to Barstow and from there take I-40 east to Williams AZ. Take the time to make the loop north/east/south on AZ-64/US-89 through Grand Canyon National Park and Back down to Flagstaff. Now hop on Alt-AZ-89 south through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona. After your stay in Sedona, head back up to Flagstaff and continue east on I-40, with a stop at Petrified Forest National Park, to Albuquerque (the hot air ballooning capital of the world) and have your balloon ride there. Also check out Petroglyph National Monument. When you're done in Albuquerque, you can head down to Big Bend via I-40/US-285/US-385. I think you'll find that a more entertaining route, although - with stops - you'll have to add some time for this leg.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.

I'm not really able to make out the details of your map from my device right now, but have you figured out where you plan to do your whitewater rafting? It may be a little difficult finding a place that will take a 6 year old. Most places I've seen have a minimum age of 8-10, and I'd guess if you find a place, it would have to be a trip with only class I or II rapids.

4. Default

Thanks for this. We would probably only do I or II. We have not nailed down where to do what. Still trying to figure out places to visit and I guess need to figure out where to do what.

Default Rafting / float

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    It may be a little difficult finding a place that will take a 6 year old. Most places I've seen have a minimum age of 8-10.
    I'd highly recommended these guys at Terlingua /Big Bend: Far Flung Outdoor Center.

When we went it was less 'white water rafting', more 'float with occasional gentle rapids' but ideal for a family - and their website specifically states that trips are suitable for 6 years up.

6. Default Please Help With my 30 day ny-la roundtrip.. Leaving in 2 weeks.

So, It'll be a 25, 27, 6, and a 15 yr old going on a cross country roadtrip. We want to see some of the major wonders, visit some national parks, hike, hot air balloon, white water rafting, grand canyon, Sand Dunes, camping out, death valley, niagara falls, swim in a lake, eat bbq, visit farm/cowboys. We'd prefer no more than 3-4 nights at a nice hotel, probably in a city. The rest divided between cheap hotels, camping.
    I made a basic map, and need help nailing down the likelihood of making this happen realistically. What places should we cut out to maximize time in each location. Also what activities do you think would be best at each place.

*revised

NY
    hicago
    St Louis
    Rocky Mountain
    Moab
    Grand Canyon
    Sedona
    vegas
    yosemite
    San Francisco
    Los Angeles
    Big Bend
    Houston
    New Orleans
    Mobile
    Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Washington, DC
    Philadelphia
    New York
    Last edited by ladybelle; 07-28-2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Edit Stop Lists.

Default Stretched.

Only you can decide which holds the most appeal for you and your travel companions but it does look rather a lot to cover, particularly with all the activities you are planning. I would say that you are going to spend half of your days dedicated to driving with only time for rest breaks, but with no major sight seeing. With 2 dozen or so destination points listed and 15 days to sight see you really won't have much time in any one place and over 30 days, it could all become a bit too much. To spend more time out of the car the obvious places to cut would be those that reduce the miles. From NY you could take a direct path to St Louis and through Denver to Moab and from GC take more direct route to New Orleans via Dallas, but like I say, it's your call to make.

So yes you could make it happen, but realistically could end up being too much to have the 'fun' you want along the way.

Did I miss something....how long were you planning to be gone for this trip? I re-read both the original and the update post, but am not sure how much time you have allotted. With that list, going all the way across the country and planning all those stops, four weeks would be the minimum, and 6 to 8 much better. (We went from CA to FL to Maine last summer, and back, didn't have quite so many stops, and were gone 7+ weeks.)

If you're camping, you'll have to allow for a shorter day's drive, in order to have time to set up camp in the evening and then tear down and repack the car in the morning. Motels allow for a longer day's drive.

Donna

9. Default

Thank you for this. Perhaps we can take out the top part of the trip and leave it for another time...

We will be gone for about 30 days.

10. Default

Need to find a stop between Chicago and Rocky Mountains for the day... Somewhere relaxing where we can just hang out and unwind before continuing the drive. Any ideas.