1. Default Manhattan to Portland, ME

Hi guys,

The GF and I are planning to roadtrip to Portland, ME to get some epic seafood, and would love for recommendations on what to do on the way. We will be going thru Hartford and Boston. (I've looked into Acadia National Park, but it seems a bit too far out of the way; I'm more interested in things that are on the way in between Manhattan and Portland.)

It's a short weekend trip; early friday to late sunday.

Tucson, AZ

Default Depending on Your Interests

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

A weekend is not a lot of time for a getaway to Portland, so you'll have to pick stops that can be done in relatively short time frames, but that's not a big limitation. I would, however, not try to do or see anything in Boston as just getting in/out of the city and finding parking would eat up a large chunk of your available time. Still, a few interesting 'quick' stops could include:

Mark Twain's and/or Harriet Beecher Stowe's homes in Wes Hartford CT. they're literally next door to each other. Or by swinging around slightly south of Hartford, you could visit Dinosaur State Park and then take the Rocky Hill-Glastonbury Ferry across the Connecticut River.

Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth NH. This is the restored old seaport village and makes a great stroll with views of atomic submarines across the river in Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. If you plan on having a lobster on this trip, Warren's in Kittery is about as authentic an experience as you can get.

The Nubble in York ME. There are several picturesque lighthouses on the coast of Maine of course, but few as picture perfect as the Nubble.

Southern California

Hubby and I found some great seafood last summer (right around this time of the year) in Portland -- down at the port. Parking was hard to find, but there were several places to eat.

Acadia NP is about 2-4 hours out of Portland, depending on which route and whether you want to stop along the way to sightsee.