1. Default Long Beach, CA -> Portland, OR

Hi all!
    I am planning a weeklong roadtrip with two friends, one of whom has never been out of Los Angeles County.
    We are planning in a few weeks to venture up to Portland, though of course the fun will be in the journey, not the destination.
    They may be able to get slightly more time off from work, though we aren't sure.

I'd like to zoom past central California and spend the bulk of the adventure camping in Northern California and beyond.

So I've come to you all for advice, we'd like to camp the entire time, and I'd like to loosely plan this roadtrip.
    I'd really appreciate some camping suggestions, some route suggestions, some beautiful places suggestions - also, I'd really like to take them to some natural hot springs, so if you know of any good'n's - Please let me know!

Thanks Roadtrip America crew!

Ian DeLu

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

My husband and I did a similar trip, years back when we were still childless. We went up US 101 and came back home via I-5. We went as far as Crater Lake and then headed back, but we were gone two weeks. Among our stops were Redwoods NP and some surrounding state parks, Oregon Caves, and Crater Lake. One of our favorite places to camp was at Fremont Peak State Park, near San Juan Bautista. It was very primitive, but it was fun for us to wake at 6 am and be above the clouds. The night before, we had a lovely view of the valley! Another campground we loved back then, that we found out still has a great reputation, is Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP.

But...this is your trip. Do you have a good paper map yet? If not, you should. Take a good look at what's there, and a trip may present itself.

Bear in mind that from Long Beach, Portland is about a 2-day drive (1000 miles) without sightseeing. So you need 4 days just to get up there and back.