Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Vegas to New York road trip help!

Hello there,

Myself and my husband are planning a road trip from Vegas to New York, we love America and have been to Vegas and New York a number of times and thought before we become serious and have a baby why not do 1 last trip!!

We are from England and are flying out with a couple of friends who are going to Vegas for their honeymoon, we want to stay in Vegas for 2 nights, road trip and then stay in New York for 3 nights and then fly back home from there.

Its the bit in the middle we would appreciate your help with, we are going to hire a car does anyone know any not too expensive one way companies they can recommend?

We have 2 weeks in total so would be travelling across the country for 9 days, we could push this to 10 if needed!! We want to see as much as we can, looking at the route guides it gives a straight line through the middle as the best route but does anyone that has done this before or have any advice on other routes to take, things that we should defiantly do and see or in general any advice would be helpful.

We are at the start of the planning and anything that you guys could help with and give advice on where to stop or not as the case may be would be great.

We are planning this in the middle 2 weeks in November this year.

Thank you in advance and will keep you updated

Emma and Scot xxx

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

At this early stage of your planning, the best thing you can do is research, research, researcher.

There is no single car rental company that is a best bet. Prices change frequently, and the company offering the best rate today could be the most expensive tomorrow. You can shop for rates right from this website, by clicking the hotels and cars section at the top of the screen. You might also find a good deal by looking at consolidators in the UK/Europe, like carhire3000 which can result in good rates and reduced one way fees.

The other thing to research is where you want to go. 9-10 days is a decent amount of time for this trip, so you've got lots of options, and you don't have to take a direct path. Some of your options would include following I-15 and I-70 through Utah and Colorado past places like Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, and Rocky Mountain National Parks (just to name a few), you could also head towards the Grand Canyon, and follow the path of former Route 66 to Chicago, you could do some combination of those, or do something completely different. Right now, I'd focus on figuring out which things you'd like to see and do most, based on your own interests.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Basics

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The straightforward route from Las Vegas to New York is I-15 up to I-70 to Denver, then a jog on I-76 to I-80 to Chicago and on to New York. That route takes you by some of the great scenic wonders of America. And, since you could make the drive in five relatively easy days of steady driving, leaves you plenty of time to explore those sights as well as to take the occasional detour. You'll also have a day or two to spare should you run into undriveable weather, a possibility in the mountains in November.

So what to see along that route? Certainly Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Arches National Parks as you make your way through Utah; Colorado National Monument and Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado; The sights of the old Oregon Trail along the Platte River in Nebraska; Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and the Bass Islands in the Great Lakes; the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Cleveland, and Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area along the Pennsylvania-New Jersey border.

And what are some other spots that are within reasonable detour distance? Well, the Grand Canyon (North Rim), Hannibal MO and all things Twainian, Niagara Falls, the Erie Canal, and a host of other sites depending o your tastes. But each chosen detour will preclude other stops and come at the cost of added driving time and less time spent at your intermediate destinations.

4. Default

Thank you both for your help!! We want to try and pack as much as possible into our trip and see as much as we can!! We didn't even think of niagra falls until you just mentioned it, now it's a must so rather than drive down via the south kind of marks our drive out! Suggestions on places along the way would still be great! Thank you for your help!! Emma and scot x

Southern California

So much has been mentioned that I would agree with....the Utah parks, Rocky Mountain National Park, and more. However, please be aware that by mid-November, the north rim of the Grand Canyon will pretty well be closed up. The road may be open but there may not be any services still open. In RMNP, Trail Ridge Road may be a toss-up, too, whether it will be open or closed.

Tucson, AZ

Default Iffy, But Their Best Shot

Donna, I agree that the North Rim is a bit iffy in mid-November. The park's website says that "After October 15, there may be a short period where the North Rim is open for day use - through November 27, or until snow closes Highway 67. Limited facilities are available during the North Rim's off-season." But going to the South Rim, which will be open, entails missing Zion and Bryce as well as negotiating around the portion of US-89 that is currently closed due to a landslide. I mentioned the North Rim as a possible detour, not as a firm destination. The posters are encouraged to call and check with the park to see what the condition of AZ-67 into and out of the park is at the actual time they are going through.

7. Default

Guys thank you for all of this info, weather is the next thing on our agenda to look at that will help determine which route we end up taking! Don't want to get stuck in snow or closures etc xx

Joplin MO

N-20 is being paved and will be open as a detour to US-89 by the time you will be here.

South of England.

Default Leaving your options open.

It's a time of year where making a solid plan is difficult because the weather is so unpredictable, the good news is you really don't have to set your plan in stone as finding lodgings won't be that difficult. Sure, keep planning and have a plan 'A' and 'B' ['C' even] and make notes of lodgings that appeal to your tastes and budget along the way[s]. We often travel October into November and you can see sunny days in the 70's in places like Arches NP and icey/snowy nights well below freezing in Bryce and RMNP, so pack layered clothing !

As Michael said "Reseach, research and research" as you will find many options and as you do your research and questions come up, just ask.

Enjoy the planning.

10. Default

Ok this is our plan so far.... Vegas, Utah incorporating the salt flats, down to Dallas and Fort Worth. Move to New Orleans, Memphis, St. Louis. Then onto Chicago, niagra falls, Washington and end up at New York!! A lot to fit in, feedback around weather etc would be great xxx