Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Northeast Ohio to Yellostone via the badlands of South Dakota

I have been wanting to surprise my wife with a dream trip later this summer or next spring, but the size of the trip I am trying to put together requires so much planning.

My question is this, I was planning on driving through from Ohio to Yellowstone, stopping at a few places such as Wounded knee and Mt.Rushmore. The trip is about 27 hrs, 1800 miles. We have 2 weeks, is this even a feasible idea. I am figuring it would take 2-3 days maybe going out and the same coming back. I am just wondering if that driving may just be to much. It would save a great deal of money over flying out there. So I am open to suggestions on what others may think about the time frame for such a trip

Bryon

Welcome!

That is a 3 day trip each way, just driving on the Interstates with no sightseeing. With 2 weeks, you have plenty of time to take it easy, sightsee, and spend 2 or 3 days in Yellowstone.

3. Default

Would 2 to 3 days be even close to seeing much in Yellowstone without being rushed?

2 to 3 days is about the minimum you need to see Yellowstone, however, I don't see why you'd have to limit yourself to just that short amount of time.

It is a minimum of 3 days each way, but even if you added another day or two for sightseeing along the way, you'd still have about a full week available, which would be a nice amount of time to explore both Yellowstone and the Tetons.

5. Default

I just wasn't expecting it to be a minimu of 3 days each way, although that would save from being completely exhausted when we arrive. Would you recommend staying in a hotel close to the northeast entrance or east entrance, and would the town of cody be a good point of access to the park each day or is it a little far away?

Taking 3 days isn't just going to keep you from being exhausted when you arrive, it will keep you from being exhausted behind the wheel, thus becoming a danger to yourself and others. 600 miles a day really is about the maximum you can plan for any multi-day trip, no matter how many drivers you have, which is already a solid 10-12 hours a day on the road when sticking to the interstates. In your case, it will require even more hours a day, as the last couple hundred miles will be on slower 2-lane roads. If you want to do additional exploration of places like the badlands, and black hills, you will really need to add at least 1 more night on the road.

Cody or Cooke City would be ok places to spend the night, before you really start exploring the park, however, I would not use either as a "home base" for exploring Yellowstone. Each are about an hour drive away from the main loop road through Yellowstone, and are more than 2 hours away from some of the more popular attractions within the park.

If your budget allows, staying within the park really is your best bet. If not, then West Yellowstone is the closest, most central location, outside of the park where you can still get to all the major areas of the parks without too long of a drive.

7. Default

If we go early in the seaon, do you generally have to make reservations in advanced for lodging in the park or can you stop in the lodges/cabins and find them rather easily?

Default Surprisingly Short Springs

'Spring' in Yellowstone can be very short indeed. The entire Yellowstone Valley is at both high northern latitudes and high elevation. In addition, this is not a big city with a massive snow plowing budget, For all practical purposes, the park is closed to auto traffic until roughly mid-May when the snow finally melts. Many service facilities won't be open until almost June. Even then it will be relatively cold and damp in the park. Almost as soon as conditions improve, the summer crowds will arrive in droves. Remember that schools will have been out for the 'summer' for up to two months by this time and family RoadTrips will be in full swing. So, in short: Yes, reservations are in order, as is some thought to the conditions under which you want to see the park.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-05-2013 at 03:56 AM.

I would completely agree that reservations are pretty much essential if you want to stay within Yellowstone.

The tourism season is extremely short, and the various lodges and facilities basically open with demand. While there may be smaller crowds at the beginning and end of the season, many of the lodges don't open up until the end of May/early June, and they are already closing down again right after Labor Day.

The good news is that cancellation policies within the park are pretty liberal, so if you make a reservation and your plans change, it typically won't cost you anything as long as you cancel within 48 hours of your planned arrival.

10. Default

If we were to stay in West Yellowstone, would reservations be needed there and how far of a drive would we be looking at for further destinations like Old Faithful in the south, and Lamar Valley in the Northeast? I apologize for asking so many questions, I have never been west of the Mississippi and this trip is proving very difficult to plan. Even in May as soon as some of the lodges start opening up and before kids are out of school, reservations would still be needed?