I would like input on a roadtrip I'm planning to take starting monday July 1st and ending July 9th (1 week + 1 day). I'm renting an RV in NY (Cruise America in Roslyn not far from La Guardia airport).
I haven't put all the details down yet but my intial plan (which is changeable btw) is that the rough outline of the trip would be a triangle between pickup in NY - Niagara Falls - Washington DC - back to same point in NY. Not necessarily driven in that order.
During the trip (given that this is the outline I will end up with) I hope to cover:
- Some nature for halfday walks/hikes (Catskills/Finger lakes etc?) Where?
- Niagara Falls with MAYBE a SHORT drive into Canada. Where in Canada?
- Some amish area/market. Where?
- Some nice historic sites like e.g. Civil War sites or colonial related (Gettysburg?). Where?
- Washington DC with main attractions and museums (Smithsonian?).
- Some nice shopping outlet area. I read about a place without tax with good outlets in the southern area of my suggested route.
- Maybe cover some parts of the coast south of NY/east of DC (e.g. Jersey Shore, Atlantic City, Chesapeake)
It's easy to plot just any route (i.e. highways) on the map but I don't know what I'm missing if I'm taking short detours and jump off the highways.
Another question is if I should completely rethink the whole route and choose another?
4th of July will be in the middle of that week. Any particular stops that might be good to stop for that celebration (e.g. DC)?