1. Default Raleigh NC to New York City to Glacier National Park MT to Olympic National Park WA

Hello, I made a thread a couple of months back about a road trip I wanted to take with my brother around the United States. We have since come to the realization that we don't have the time or money to make that trip. We have down sized now to a few locations. We will start the trip from Raleigh, NC and head to Richmond, VA to see the Washington Redskins at their training camp, then head up to New York City, then to Chicago, IL to see our cousin, then to Glacier National Park, MT, then on over to Seattle, WA, then to Olympic National Park, WA before heading back home to Raleigh. We will be making this trip in my 2002 Kia Rio wich gets 27 highway miles per gallon. The round trip will be around 6,500 miles and I calculated the trip at 25 MPG, after all the math it came out to $910 for gas for the trip. We plan on starting this trip around the end of July and I just have a few questions if anyone could help, any advice would be appreciated.

1. Do you think this trip is possible to make happen in 2 to 2 1/2 weeks?

2. Do you think this trip is possible on a two thousand dollar budget between the two of us?

3. Do you recommend staying at hotels, sleeping in car, camp ground, truck stop, etc? Or a mixture of all, which would be cheapest?

4. Do you recommend visiting any places along the way or places within the talked about locations?
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-24-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Linked to original thread.

Default This is the Down-Sized Version?

Let's start with the good news. Yes, this trip is possible in 2½ weeks. Ok, that's it for the good news, now let's examine all the things that have to go right for that to be the case. You can't take any side trips, gas can't go above $3.50/gal, you can't waste time actually stopping to see or enjoy any of the places you'll be driving to, you can't have any problems with the car, you pretty much can't do anything but drive day after day after day, and you can't ever get away from your brother for any significant time during that 2½ weeks even long after you have gotten on each others' nerves. After that, it's just bad news.

The problem with trips such as the one you outline is that they are cut so close to the bone with no margin for error, delay or added expense, that any of the hundreds of problems that inevitably arise on almost every RoadTrip will immediately wreck your plans. And even if everything goes right, you simply haven't left any time to experience the places you're going to other than through the windshield. There really isn't any point in anyone suggesting places to visit along the way - you don't have time.

My suggestion at this point is for you to cut back by about 1500 miles (at least) thus buying yourselves some time to relax and enjoy the trip.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaMountainMan View Post
    1. Do you think this trip is possible to make happen in 2 to 2 1/2 weeks?
    Honestly, yes, but as mentioned above, do you want to SEE anything or just do a drive-by?

2. Do you think this trip is possible on a two thousand dollar budget between the two of us?
    Okay, gas at $3.50 gallon costs you almost half of that budget. How do you plan to eat? Sleep? Pay for the entrances to the national parks?

3. Do you recommend staying at hotels, sleeping in car, camp ground, truck stop, etc? Or a mixture of all, which would be cheapest?
    Staying at hotels will cost you about $65/night average. You'll find some cheaper ones, but there will be places where you'll have to pay more.

Sleeping in car is NOT recommended. You just can't get a good enough night's sleep!

Campgrounds will set you back about $15-25/night, and of course you need some sort of tent, sleeping bags, and other equipment. These campgrounds may or may not have showers available. (Generally, the ones that do, charge more.)

Truck stop means you'll be sleeping in your car. See above.

If budget is an issue, what my husband and I did years ago was to tent for 3-4 nights running, then stay at a motel for a night to enjoy a soft bed and some clean showers.

4. Do you recommend visiting any places along the way or places within the talked about locations?
    You have too much as it is, IMHO. You might want to scale it back a little so that you can enjoy yourselves, and actually SEE something.

Donna

Default Ditto.

I have to agree with the above comments, sometimes less is more ! I would consider using Glacier as a turning point because heading all the way out to Olympia without having time to see anything on the way out or the way back seems like a bit of a waste and this is from someone who loves 'The drive'.

For example you could head south from Glacier to Yellowstone and down into Colorado and Rocky mountain NP to Denver and then home. It would still be quite hectic even then but at least would save a couple of days driving and any time in Seattle and Olympia, which you don't really have. If you were also to leave Richmond and NY for a shorter trip from home to another time, the two cuts combined would shave about 1500 miles off your trip as recommended by Buck, which is something I totally agree on.