Default US20 From VT-NY Border to Buffalo

Our family of four (wife and twin boys aged 15) have planned a summer road trip to Boston from Oakville, ON and on the return trip will be avoiding the Thruway for a scenic drive. We are thinking of driving through lower Vermont (to Bennington) and then connecting up with the US20 near Albany and driving through to Buffalo and on home to Oakville, ON. What is there to see and do along that route? We have been to Cooperstown. We like nature, museums, and roadside attractions. We will need to stop overnight somewhere near Syracuse. Any suggestions for an overnight stay (town or specific lodging) is appreciated. Is there a different route that parallels the I90 that we should consider? We would like to stay south of Lake Ontario and drive via NY State and not return via Kingston/401.

Last summer we stayed in Syracuse at the Days Inn University. We thought it was a nice place to stay. The management was very nice, it had everything we needed and the price was right. The only irritation about that place was the approach to get there --- traffic circle, or roundabout! There were restaurants close by, but we chose to drive 4 or 5 miles to try something we had never tried (Five Guys Burgers).

Have you seen any of the Erie Canal? We went to the Erie Canal Village last summer. I would have also enjoyed going on one of the boat trips on the Canal, but we chose not to do that this time. (That's "on" for another trip.)

Donna

Default US-20 in New York

US-20 is your best, indeed quite possibly your only, alternative to I-90 across New York State. It is a scenic route (at least those parts that I've driven) through farming and wine country that runs parallel to the old Erie Canal (now more prosaically named the New York State Barge Canal). Along the way you will pass the northern tips of the Finger Lakes, a National Wildlife Refuge, historic sites, and one of the great state parks.

Since I lived just an hour or so south of Syracuse, I never had any cause to stop there for the night, but as a general rule, you can do a little better on price the farther out of town you are, and you should stay on the west side of town so that when you leave the next morning you're not fighting rush hour traffic.

AZBuck

Thanks Donna and AZBuck. We were thinking Syracuse would be a good place to stopover. I wasn't aware there were places to visit the Erie Canal. I will research that some more to see what there is. We have visited Letchworth State Park and may stop by again. Thanks for the info.

Default A route worth savouring.

Drove US20 twice last year, east to west and west to east.

Don't overlook all the smaller hotels, motels and bed-n-breakfasts which line that route. Probably too small to be on a website. Many were found in or near the small historic towns. A lot of Early European settlement history in each place. Take your time, you'll love it.

Lifey

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Drove US20 twice last year, east to west and west to east.

Don't overlook all the smaller hotels, motels and bed-n-breakfasts which line that route. Probably too small to be on a website. Many were found in or near the small historic towns. A lot of Early European settlement history in each place. Take your time, you'll love it.

Lifey
    Did you do the whole coast to coast route or just the NY bit?

Default Yes and No.

Quote Originally Posted by BritTrip View Post
    Did you do the whole coast to coast route or just the NY bit?
    Last year I was on the road for the best part of six months and covered more than 20K miles. It was my seventh trip. In total I have covered close to 200K miles. Over the last decade I have driven US20 in NY several times - not exactly sure how often. It is a nice route, but quite a bit slower than the interstates. Also, there is a wealth of information at the NY welcome and information centres.

As for coast to coast, I have done that some half dozen times, over several different routes.

Lifey

Default Erie Canal Boat Rides

If you want to experience the Erie Canal, a short side trip from Batavia up to Lockport will give you a choice of two boat rides, one above ground and through a canal lock and the other a cave tour underground that gets behind and under the Erie Canal. Both are unique.

The route up to Lockport goes by the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge. When you complete your tour(s), you can drive Route 31 over to Lewiston and enter Canada from there instead of going through the Buffalo or Niagara Falls traffic.