Default Seattle to Los Angeles via Olympic Peninsula and the coast highway

I am tentatively planning a road trip for late April 2014, picking up a rental car in Seattle and driving around the Olympic Peninsula and then south to LA. Is a week long enough to do this trip comfortably with time to see a few things along the way e.g. a day in San Francisco, time to stop and do some short walks in the forests. What is motel accommodation like down the coast like? Is it important to book ahead? I will be doing all the driving (travelling with my 15 year old son).

Many thanks for your help!

Southern California

Welcome to RTA! That's a beautiful route you've chosen!

It's about 1550 miles from Seattle to LA via the coastal route. It's about 4-5 days taking it easy, seeing things, so you'll have time for a day in SF and to take the walks in the forests.

In April, there should be no need to book ahead except perhaps in San Francisco or in the Olympic area. Sometimes my husband and I will call a day ahead of time and book something, so that we don't have to hunt around for a place when we're tired. As for finding prices and places, get out the paper map of the route and use the motel finder to the right side of this forum, to see what's available. Your highest priced bookings will probably be in San Francisco and points south.

Thanks so much Donna. This really helps with my planning. I wasn't sure if it would be feasible but it certainly sounds like it will be.