1. Default a low altitude route from Indiana to Florida

Due to an eye surgery my husband was told he cannot fly or travel in mountainous areas. We live in Northern indiana and need to reach port canaveral Florida. Can anyone help with finding the lowest altitude route or where to find this information? Thanks!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Did your doctor suggest an elevation level that should be avoided? Even if you took the most direct route, through the mountains of eastern Tennessee, you'd still only be going a bit over 4,000 feet. I'd be somewhat surprised if that posed any health effects.

The flattest route, without doing anything too crazy, like going all the way over to the Mississippi River, would likely be to take I-65 south into Alabama, and using US-231 at Montgomery to get down to Florida. There are some hills along this drive, but no major elevation gains or losses.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-12-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: fixed typo

3. Default

Thanks so much. Your reply was a huge help.

Default Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee elevations

I agree with Midwest Michael's query as to what sort of elevation is considered mountainous. I suspect the doctor was referring to travel in the mountainous West, where Interstates run at elevations of 5,000' to 7,500' routinely, and where passes reach elevations of over 10,000' along I-70, 8,600' along I-80, and 7,000' in ID and MT. I must correct Midwest Michael, however, as to elevations along the most direct northern IN to FL route.

From either Gary or Fort Wayne, IN, the most direct route to Port Canaveral is I-65 to Nashville, I-24 to Chattanooga, thence I-75 to Atlanta. This route crosses somewhat hilly country immediately north of Nashville, but it's at elevations well under 2,000' above sea level. I-24 crosses the Cumberland Plateau approaching and departing Monteagle, TN, and while the hills are rugged, the highest elevation reached is at Monteagle, which is 1,920' above sea level. Even I-40 in eastmost Tennessee, between Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC, never reaches elevations of over 2,600' as it cuts through the Great Smoky Mountains. There are certainly no Interstates in East Tennessee, or anywhere in the Southeast, reaching elevations of 4,000'. In fact, very few major highways reach that elevation anywhere in the Blue Ridge or the Smokies.

Gary and Fort Wayne, IN, are 600' and 800' above sea level, respectively. I have serious doubts that 1,920' at Monteagle, TN represents enough of a difference to warrant a "mountainous" label, but you should check with your doctor for a more specific elevation range to avoid.

Foy

Comparing the 2 routes, it adds about 50 miles and 1 hour going via Montgomery instead of Atlanta. I just took US-231 from Montgomery to I-10 last month, and it's a good road. It's 4 lanes all the way with a lot of 65 mph stretches, but not expressway grade. This would keep you out of Atlanta traffic, but traffic can be an issue in Birmingham and Montgomery too depending on time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    the most direct route to Port Canaveral is I-65 to Nashville, I-24 to Chattanooga, thence I-75 to Atlanta. This route crosses somewhat hilly country immediately north of Nashville, but it's at elevations well under 2,000' above sea level. I-24 crosses the Cumberland Plateau approaching and departing Monteagle, TN, and while the hills are rugged, the highest elevation reached is at Monteagle, which is 1,920' above sea level.
    I agree this is the most direct route, what you've corrected me on is the elevation. I actually thought I-24 through the Cumberland Plateau went much higher than 1900 feet. I was thinking it was in the 3000-4000 foot range (based purely on my faulty memory), which is why I was suggesting the route through Alabama.

Being that it doesn't even reach 2,000 feet, I can't imagine that would cause problems, and would certainly be a more direct route.

Just in case the fact is useful- airlines can have cabin pressures up to about 8000' when the airplane is cruising.

That sort of suggests what the doctor was concerned about.

One way to resolve the question would be to ask the doctor for more specific limits because of the travel plans.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by noFanofCB View Post
    Just in case the fact is useful- airlines can have cabin pressures up to about 8000' when the airplane is cruising.

That sort of suggests what the doctor was concerned about.

One way to resolve the question would be to ask the doctor for more specific limits because of the travel plans.
    Thanks, we see the doctor in 2 days and will get altitude clarified.