Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vegas to SF via Death Valley, Sequoia, Yosemite

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    As I stated in my earlier post you would need 2 nights to do this part of your trip comfortably and enjoy the many sights.

If you can't find any extra time then with the 2 days you have [1 night] you could leave Vegas early, explore Death Valley and drive as near to the Exeter/ Visalia area as you can and then head through Three rivers into Sequoia NP early the following morning, have some time at the Giants forest and walk the trial to the General Sherman tree and then start making your way to Big Sur via Fresno and Los Banos. If you need to stretch your legs, just after Los Banos is the San Luis reservoir rec area.

As Michael has mentioned, the areas are large and through DV and Sequoia the roads are slow [more so in Sequoia] so expect long days and not to get to Big Sur untill the evening.
    Even this post is quite old i'm facing here same sporty challenge: First day early start from LV via Death Valley to Exeter/ Visalia, second day through Sequoia as near as possible to the entrance of yosemite, third day yosemite with late arrival in San Francisco.

Do you think it's possible or do i underestimate this turn? - Seems impossible to spend one day more on this part, if especially the first step makes no sense we have to go directly from LV to Sequoia by highway.

Travel time will be 29th of September to the 1st of October 2013, two adults using SUV

Christian

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We appreciate that you've been looking in the archives, but we do like to give each trip its own thread, because each trip is different.

In your case, I'd recommend you skip Sequoia, unless you can get more time. You could basically do what you're talking about doing, but you'd have to race through each park so fast that you really wouldn't have time to see any of them.

Instead, take your first day to actually explore Death Valley, spending the night around Bishop or Mammoth Lakes, spend day two driving across Tioga Pass and explore some of Yosemite, spending the night in or near the park, and then finish looking around Yosemite on day 3 before heading onto SF in the afternoon. There is still a grove of Giant Sequoia Trees in Yosemite, so you can at least get a taste of the big trees.

Hi Michael

thanxs for splitting the thread and for your response - to be honest i already read some of the threads and noticed that the Tioga Pass should be a very nice route - for the moment i'm not sure if we can pass that route in the late September?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Instead, take your first day to actually explore Death Valley, spending the night around Bishop or Mammoth Lakes, spend day two driving across Tioga Pass and explore some of Yosemite, spending the night in or near the park, and then finish looking around Yosemite on day 3 before heading onto SF in the afternoon. There is still a grove of Giant Sequoia Trees in Yosemite, so you can at least get a taste of the big trees.
    will check it in the maps to have a clear picture of your suggestion

Christian

Tioga Pass, historically speaking, doesn't close for the season until mid-October, at the earliest. November is more typical.

Having said that, it is possible that there could be an early season storm that would temporarily close the pass for a day or two. It is something you might want to double check when you are on the road, but the odds of it being open are good enough that you should be able to plan on it being open.

sounds good, just had a short view on possible stays in the areas mentioned: one privat via airbnb at Ski Trail, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546 - and inside the park "Yosemite View Lodge" for the second stay. - there are several areas to stay within the park, does it make sense to look for a special village there?

As much as reading about yosemite i think you're right on skipping Sequoia: except of this forum everyone suggested to take the south highway and Skip DV instead, but i think you're right

Default You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by CKone View Post
    As much as reading about yosemite i think you're right on skipping Sequoia: except of this forum everyone suggested to take the south highway and Skip DV instead, but i think you're right
    I am not surprised. I found that too. I still read it. But believe me, you will be thrilled if you decide to go via DV. Take a little time to stop and take in the ambiance, do some of the short side trips. Bad Water and Artist Drive are essential IMHO.

Lifey

Default 'Locals route'.

From Vegas you can take the 'Locals route' to Death valley by heading to Pahrump on 160 and then just north of town take W. Bell vista Ave/Bell Vista/Ash Meadows Rd to Death valley junction. Turn right and immediate left onto 190 across the park. A little way in you will come across Zabriske Point which is worth the short walk from the car for the view. Next up is Furnace creek where you can get refreshments and walk around the little museum etc and take that side trip to Badwater basin [the lowest point in the USA] and a detour onto Artisits drive on the way back. As you continue your drive you will have wonderful views such as at the Sand dunes near Stovepipe Wells. Remember to carry water and snacks in the car and wear sun protection, it can still get extremely hot at this time of year !

Stopping at Mammoth Lakes and then Yosemite view lodge would work well as overnight stays, only staying in Yosemite valley in a NP lodge on the second night would be better, but would depend on availability and your budget.

Get an early start from Mammoth and allow yourself plenty of time for stops over Tioga Pass to take in the views and have a stroll. You should thern have time to enjoy the valley the rest of the day. Next day you could drive up to Glacier point and take in the spectacular views and perhaps visit Mariposa Grove of giant Sequoia trees before heading onto SF.

as i can see this piont of time seems quite good getting people from all over the world online.

Thank you very much to all of you, for the ideas as well as for Dave's detailed "manual" - i'll check the 'locals route' on the map in the evening.

Christian

Edit: must be a little bit like this
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-11-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: not a valid code (edit)

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    only staying in Yosemite valley in a NP lodge on the second night would be better, but would depend on availability and your budget.
    may you give me here a more datailed suggest what hotels do you keep in mind, Dave - i'm just looking around but i'm not sure about the hotels you speak :o

Default National park lodging.

I was referring to the NP lodging options which you can find here. The Yosemite lodge at the Falls is right in the heart of the valley and looks to have an available room on the 30th Sept, but it's $220. Like I hinted at, it's not budget friendly but is a bargain compared to the famous Ahwahnee hotel at $471. Yikes !

Your map is correct in regards to the locals route.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-11-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Added comment.