1. Default motorcycle road trip

im trying to plan out a trip from my home in sw mn to seattle wa and from there go down the coast and back therw wichta ka and then home and all that with a tent is there a trip planer that will do a trip like this ive tryed a few but there mor for lets get there as fast as posible and no senick trips and what kinds of gear should i bring the trip is going to be in late july so it should be wormer hopefully

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I'm not really sure at all what you're looking for in terms of a trip planner, but have you checked out RTA's Map Center?

The gear you need depends a ton on the details of this trip, where you'll be staying, what places you plan to visit, how long you'll be gone, etc.

3. Default

im looking to plan a trip beginging to end on one map. im looking to ride up to minot nd and from there head out to seatlle wa and then down the 101 till i have to turn off to get to reno and from there to wichita ka then back home what im kinda looking for is a planer that can tie all the best ways to do that trip without going all interstate and placese to camp

Default Back to Basics.

Wouldn't you be better of starting with paper maps of the individual States through which you plan to travel. These have the routes which are scenic marked on them. They also have a little tent symbol marked at all the National and State Parks and Forests where camping is available. If you plan to travel a fair bit of the way, off the interstates, that will give you an outline to put in your electronics.

Computer programs will of their very nature get you where you want to go the quickest and shortest way possible. They usually do not have the ambiance of the road programmed into them.

Lifey

It seems to me that you are looking for something that doesn't - and really can't - exist.

You want a computer to tell you what the "best" way complete your trip, and the problem is that there is no single best. No single best route(s), no single best places to stop. The closest you'll get from a computer is it's definition of "best" which is fastest.

That sort of thing is exactly what RTA's Map Center does not include step-by-step directions. It's designed to be a tool to help you find great and interesting places, and build your trip around them. However, the big part of that is you have to be one making the decisions on where to go and what to do. There are lots of great online tools to help you do that, and as Lifey mentioned, it is still hard to beat the good old paper map for a lot of things, but it is always going to come back to you being your own trip planner, not a computer program.

When I did my 6 week trip to celebrate leaving the Navy I had only a general notion of where to go and how long it might take. I used the campground symbols on my paper maps to head for someplace to camp for the night or I holed up in cheap motels if it was snowing or really cold. (April & May was a bit too early and I was cold a lot of the time)

I stayed off the interstates as much as possible and enjoyed riding the countryside. Even got waves from farmers in their pickups thru the Midwest.

Sometimes it's better to only have an outline of a plan and just let it happen on its own.
    Plan for the next 3 hours or so and let the days take care of themselves.

Default Hear! hear!!

Quote Originally Posted by noFanofCB View Post
    ... just let it happen on its own.
    Plan for the next 3 hours or so and let the days take care of themselves.
    Well said. That way you leave yourself able to take any route, stop at anything which interests you and make your own discoveries along the way. Have you read this article. It may give you some idea of what we mean.

Lifey

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by noFanofCB View Post
    Sometimes it's better to only have an outline of a plan and just let it happen on its own. Plan for the next 3 hours or so and let the days take care of themselves.
    Such true words. On a trip of that size, you can sometimes just pick a route by the general direction. There were times on our recent motorcycle road trip that if we were heading to the south-east we were content taking roads that went south or east. Just do your map checks along the way. For me, I can do about 1.5 hours before I need to stretch my legs and get off the bike. They do a map check and keep on keeping on.

Also... out of four of us, 2 of our cell phones bit the dust on the trip... you need paper maps.