1. Default St Louis to Niagara Falls with kids

Any suggestions for fun places to stop, places to break up the drive, safer towns to stay in? It will just be one driver, and we are headed to further driving after Niagara Falls. The kids are young, 8 & 3. Any help for a newb road tripper would be appreciated!

Welcome!

How quickly do you want to get there? You are looking at a safe minimum of a day and a half via fastest route (I-70/I-71/I90). A halfway point for making it a full 2 day drive would be Columbus, OH - and there are some decent motels/hotels in the northern suburbs off I-71, near the Polaris Mall. That's a nice safe area.

Default Making It Fun for the Kids

One thing to keep in mind, when traveling with relatively young children, is the need to break the drive up with stops every so often so that the trip is just a series of short drives to fun destinations rather than a single long slog. For your specific drive, I would suggest the following, which are each about two hours apart:

Lincoln Log Cabin State Historic Site, Charleston IL
    Riley Park and environs, Greenfield IN
    Madison Lake State Park, London OH
    Cuyahoga Valley National Park, south of Cleveland OH
    Lake Erie State Park, Brocton NY.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thank you for those suggestions!!! I am hoping to make it in two days and am looking at the Columbus area as a point to stop. I will look at places around the Polaris Mall--thank you!

I'm still on the "first leg" of the trip and have the Lincoln Log Cabin and probably Riley Park on the "fun stop" list for sure. Have you guys ever gone to Clifton Mill Restaurant? Kid friendly? My oldest got excited about the mill and the pancakes :)

Again--thanks! I have more legs to this trip to follow--we are making a journey of it (I was laid off and have some time to spare this summer)

Default The Big Picture.

Quote Originally Posted by kaliope View Post
    I have more legs to this trip to follow--
    Would you care to share the rest of your planned trip, with us. It can often be of great help to those giving advice, if you sketch out the complete journey. It may influence the advice you get for a specific leg.

Lifey

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Would you care to share the rest of your planned trip, with us. It can often be of great help to those giving advice, if you sketch out the complete journey. It may influence the advice you get for a specific leg.

Lifey
    Sure, sure. From Niagara we are headed back east to NH to spend some time with family--I am quite familiar with this part of the country so I'm pretty sure I have plenty of ideas for that area. From NH we will head to Washington DC with a potential stop in Hershey PA. Then onto North Carolina to stay with a friend and home from there.