Default Two-week roadtrip starting?? (in Louisville, KY)

Hei hei,

We had a fantastic roadtrip in the US last year (SF-LA- Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-Bryce Canyon-Yosemite), so we are planing one this summer as well (10-24 August).
    We got some great advice and suggestions on this forum (Thank u:)), so we are looking here for some advice this year to, on where to go and what to see.

We want to try something new, maybe explore other parts of the US we don't know so much about. (Like the idea below)

Currently, the plan is to start in Louisville, KY - (Mammoth Caves), then do a round trip: Nashville- Memphis- Little Rock -(Hot Springs) - Harrison AR - Springfield - Jefferson City - (City of Linn, MO:p) - St. Louis - Evansville - Louisville.
    Any comments? Do this sound like a good plan?

BUT, We are open for ANY suggestions! Other parts of the country even..

Only criteria (same as last year): We would like to experience american culture, visit some national parks, small towns, local diners ++ and not only the big cities..

Thanks in advance

Southern California

I'm glad your first trip turned out so well for you! Be sure to post a trip report when you get back from this one -- we love to read other people's adventures (especially when we can't get out on the road ourselves).

I chuckled when I read "Jefferson City - (City of Linn, MO)" you have family or friends in Linn, or is it because of your name? (It's a cute small town, no doubt about it, and yes, I've been there and went to college with someone from there too.) There are lots of things to see and do in Missouri. Here is a page of the trip report that includes Hermann, Jefferson City, and Hannibal mini-trips that we took. In the part about Hermann, I mentioned a good diner: Lyndee's. My husband and I are very familiar with the Columbia - Jefferson City - Mexico triangle in Missouri, as we are frequent visitors and have family in the area, and one of us used to live there.

St Louis -- the Zoo, the Arch, the Anheuser Busch brewery, Grant's Farm, and more.

Don't hesitate to hit a Missouri state park. They are well maintained and there's usually a lovely place for a picnic. Just be ware: August is time for humidity!

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Unique Bits

I'm assuming that you know why you want to go to the towns you have listed, and so will offer just a few suggestions for places that you otherwise miss 'in between'. On the way to Mammoth Cave, you can take a slight detour and come into the park from the north on KY-1352. From I-65 take KY-88 west to KY-728 southwest to KY-1827 east to KY-1352 south into the park. Not only is this a far less-traveled way in, but it brings you to the actual caves by way of the Green River Ferry, a free five minute bit of Americana.

Between Nashville and Memphis, I would urge you to take the Natchez Trace Parkway from its northern terminus at TN-100 southwest of Nashville down near Deerfield TN and then use US-64 west into Memphis. This will take you within visiting distance of Shiloh National Military Park, the scene of one of our larger Civil War battles. In Memphis itself, the scale model of the entire Mississippi River on Mud Island is also worth a visit.

On the drive up from Harrison to Springfield, if you want to see how a large segment of America relaxes, plan on spending some time in Branson MO.

It's a bit of a detour, but Ste. Genevieve MO, south of St. Louis, has always been a favorite of mine. It's an old French fur trading town that still has a lot of its charm, an old-fashioned ice cream parlor, and a ferry across the Mississippi over to Illinois for the continuation of your journey to Evansville.

4. Default

Checkout Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro, Arkansas. You can spend afternoon there digging for diamonds and get bit dusty and muddy. There is a big swimming pool for cool off as well...