Default Dallas to Grand Canyon

Hey everyone! My husband and I are planning a road trip from Dallas to the Grand Canyon. I saw the road trip suggestion on here but would like any advice on places we definitely need to stop to see, eat, or do. We have 9 or 10 days available for this trip. We have such a variety of interests so just about anything interests us. What are your favorite spots? Where should we go. Help us plan our trip :)
    Last edited by latinacv4; 06-02-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Default Resources

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Even without the individual suggestions you'll get here (shortly) there are several readily available resources here for ideas that may not occur to you (or us) otherwise. There are lists of attractions in every state and province, another set of places to take breaks every few hours along the Interstates, and perhaps the most unique of all, the Map Center where you can see what's within side trip range of any route in America. Now some things that I would suggest for your drive are Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo, Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque, and some of the lesser known national monuments around Flagstaff including Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater and Wupatki. Also in the Flagstaff area: Lowell Observatory, the Museum of Northern Arizona, and Oak Creek Canyon.

Another piece of 'standard' advice is to look for a different route back than the one you took out. In this case you might want to look at dropping down to Tucson and coming home via I-10/I-20.

AZBuck

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by latinacv4 View Post
    Hey everyone! My husband and I are planning a road trip from Dallas to the Grand Canyon. I saw the road trip suggestion on here but would like any advice on places we definitely need to stop to see, eat, or do. We have 9 or 10 days available for this trip. We have such a variety of interests so just about anything interests us. What are your favorite spots? Where should we go. Help us plan our trip :)
    I am doing sort of the reverse. I am driving Dallas to Northern California and then on the return, doing Lake Tahoe to Grand Canyon back to Dallas.

On my way up, I plan to drive from Dallas to Moriarty, NM (about 9-10 hours). From there to Needles, CA. This is where you would detour up to the GC. For our return, I am looking at the Trading Post Lodge located near the Grand Canyon to stay, before driving to Amarillo the next day, for the night and then back to Dallas. Other attractions I am told are the Petrified Forest in Holbrook, NM as well as some old Route 66 diners and scenery along the way.

Enjoy!
    jamie

4. Default

I done this trip before so, If you want to make it interesting and if you don't mind going via state route...

make one leg of trip via US380 from Denton, TX all the way to San Antonio, NM via Roswell, NM/Ruidoso, NM..

Go down to Deming on Interstate 10... Visit Chirichua Nation Monument in AZ near wilcox

Visit Bisbee/Sierra Vista, AZ (one day trip)

Back up to Phonix area on to GC via Sadona/Flagstaff...

I stayed at one of the lodge in GC. It was convenient and relaxed environment. Last year the weather was bit cooler in July as well.