1. Default 8 day trip suggestions- From Denver

Traveling in mid-August with my girlfriend. Both mid 20's, active and looking for a fun trip from Denver. Looking for good towns, good hikes, outdoor activities, etc. Any ideas would be great.

Tucson, AZ

Default Here's the Problem

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

When I see someone planning an eight day trip out of somewhere, and with my RoadTrip hat on, I think in terms of two to three days out, two to three days in a destination area, and two to three days back (by a different route.) Now tow days solid driving (or three days of wandering, sight-seeing, hiking, etc., can get you to anywhere within 70% or so of the United States. Only the Appalachians and coasts are really outside a comfortable week's drive. There's simply no way to tell you all the possible hikes, interesting towns, and outdoor activities within range on such a trip. As a first step, you and your girlfriend should sit down with a good map or atlas of the US and pick out a few areas or destinations that appeal to you. That will go much further towards making your trip enjoyable than taking random suggestions from strangers. But once you have picked a target area, we can be of much more use to you giving you some specific ideas for that destination.

South of England.

Default Here's one.

Whereas I fully agree with Buck that your options are wide and varied, I will indulge myself and make a loop trip suggestion where you can hike in National Parks and find some wonderful towns without over reaching.

From Denver, Estes Park and into Rocky mountain NP would be on most peoples lists. [It's not clear if you live in Denver or not, so this might be too close to home] Near Estes Park in RMNP is the Bear Lake corridor, with many lakes and different levels of hikes available among great alpine scenery. You could then drive across RMNP on the Trail Ridge road, [should be open but not 100% guaranteed] which happen to be the highest continous paved road in the USA, to Grand Lake and down to I70 towards Moab UT. Heading west on I70 you could take a detour onto US6 and cross the continental divide on Loveland Pass and rejoin I70 near Dillon Res. Another stop you might find interesting is the Colorado National Monument near Fruita.

Moab is home to Arches and Canyonlands NP's and both offer some wonderful hikes. Exit I70 onto US6/UT128 to Moab and drive through Castle Valley, it's a lovely alternative to 191 that adds hardly any time to the journey.

You could then head south on 191 to Monticello and then southeast on 491 to Cortez and Mesa Verde NP. Next to Durango and then take the spectacular 'Million Dollar Highway' through the wonderful mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray to Montrose and US50.

Along US50 you will pass Black canyon of the Gunnison, drive through the Currecanti Nat Rec area and over the continental divide once more at Monarch Pass. At Poncha Springs you can start heading north on US285 back towards Denver. If you had any time left [it will depend on how much time you like to spend in one place and how many of the said places appeal] you could head towards Manitou/Colorado Springs. On this route you would find the likes of Florissant Fossil Beds NM, Pikes Peak, Cave of the Winds and the lovely Garden of the Gods.

Ft. Collins, CO.

I read it as 8 daytrips.

Lots and lots and lots of places to go.

Many National Forests shown on the maps and all have their charms - especially if you are into mountain biking.

5. Default 11 Day Road Trip- Trying to figure out where to go!!!

I have 11 days to travel with my girlfriend. Neither one of us have been to that many places and originally we thought we would start in Denver and travel from there. But we are having second thoughts and want to explore different options. The only thing we have done together was last summer (San Fran > Tahoe > Yosemite) so we don't want to repeat that. Looking for some good ideas in the rockies/west coast/western canada/southwest

Any help would be awesome.

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Wing it!

If you really do not have a clue where to go, why not get in the car, armed with copious detailed maps of the State and surrounding States, and Head for the Horizon. No knowing what gems you may stumble upon, gems which none of us here have seen or heard of.

Follow an interesting sign, call in and spend some time in an out of the way place, there are endless adventures to be had out there.

If you keep a log and good notes of your adventure, you can come back here and tell us all about it. Who knows, you may even end up telling future enquirers about your discoveries.