1. Default San Francisco to East Coast - 4 Weeks - With 8 & 11 years old kids

We are a family of four with two kids aged 11 to 8. This summer we are planning to take a road trip from San Francisco to East Coast. In the East Coast we want to visit Washington D.C., New York, and Niagara Falls to name a few places. If the recommended route is I-10, we would not mind covering Florida as well. Our preference is to travel by road from West to East and then fly back so that we can make this a relaxing trip without rushing. We do understand the plan might make the trip a bit expensive with one way van rental and air tickets.

Few questions:
    1) Which route should we take? I-10, I-50, ???
    2) Depending on the route, what are the must see attraction. We like outdoors.
    3) Any other suggestions on things to pack or take care of.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Best regards,

South of England.

Default Don't limit yourselves to route numbers

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

At this stage of your planning I would not be concentrating on route numbers. I would suggest you get a good map of the USA and start looking for places that appeal to you, it might be the Grand canyon, the Rockies, perhaps Memphis or New Orleans or all of the above ! Once you have dots on the map you can go about joining them up using interesting routes through interesting places to get to the next, of which there are thousands.

You have a nice amount of time and I would encourage you to get off Interstate and take some of the highways and byways of discovery. Once you have those dots on the map we can certainly help to join them up and offer suggestions, but there are just too many options to make meaningful suggestions at this point, especially as you haven't mentioned what your interests are.

Get the Kids involved in the planning, so they have a vested interest in the trip and feel part of it. Enjoy the planning.