Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Orange County, CA to Temple, TX

I'm moving to TX next month and am curious as to which route to take. I'm traveling alone with a small dog. If I take the 10 FWY is it feasible to be able to make it to Las Crusas, NM on the first day? Since I'm traveling alone would I be better off taking the 40 FWY?

Default 2 overnights

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Las Cruces is too far for a comfortable and safe days driving and if you were hoping to do the whole journey with just one overnight stop and do the same very next day, it really would be too much and unwise as well as unsafe. Sleep deprived/tired drivers can be every bit as dangerous as a drunk driver and plenty of accidents are associated with it. You would really need 2 overnight stops to cover the 1400 miles safely.

I10 would make just east of Tuscon [or Tuscon itself] and Fort Stocton 2 reasonable overnight stops. I40 would make for reasonable stops in Winslow AZ and Lubbock TX leaving you with about 6 hours left to cover on day 3. Either option will be much kinder on you and the dog and give you time from the car to stretch your legs, eat and rest along the way.

Do not take any notice of mapping program times as they do not take into account rest breaks and delays such as construction or congestion, never mind the need to stop and fill with gas and go to the rest rooms !

Default Cooler ... or shorter???

Using Anaheim as a basis for calculating (you didn't say where in Orange County), you could get to Willcox AZ on the first night if you decide to take I-10. That would be about 550 miles, or 10 hours on the highway. That gives you time for gasoline stops, restroom, food stops.

Plan on some place to leave your dog while you run into a restaurant. Whether you go I-10 or I-40, the inside of your car can get deadly hot for your dog. We used to bring a leash, park on the outskirts of the parking lot, and let the dog lay under the car or (if possible) outside under a tree in the shade.

Honestly, I-40 is usually a bit cooler than I-10. The latter goes through deserts and in June, temps can be up there in the 100's. From just west of Williams AZ to Albuquerque, you're up at elevations 5000-7000', which makes for lower temperatures. That might be more pleasant for you and for your pup. However, it's about 120 extra miles ... an extra 2 hours total.

Dave made the comment about mapping program times. He's right, those don't account for real world needs -- and with a dog, you'll probably need to stop to let him/her stretch and potty (and you too).

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 05-31-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: major typo

From just west of Williams AZ to Albuquerque, you're up at elevations 5000-7000', which makes for lower temperatures. That might be more pleasant for you and for your pup. However, it's about 120 extra miles ... an extra 2 hours total.
    This looks like the case if you carried on east on I40 to Amarillo, but if you take US84 near Santa Rosa and head down through Lubbock, it is only an extra 50 miles and 40/45 minutes longer than I10.

Another idea on your lunch meals -- you could grab something at a drive through and then push on to a local park or a rest area along the freeway, and eat there. Pup could then be outside while you eat. My husband and I used to do this, even when we didn't have a dog. It takes some planning, though, as you have to find the park or pick a town where a rest area isn't all that much further down the road (so your food won't get cold). You could also carry picnic food for lunch.

6. Default Orange County to Temple TX

I posted about this trip yesterday, but it's not showing up anywhere. Hopefully I get it right this time :)

I will be making this trip alone and am wondering if it would be safer to take I-10 or I-40 route? I know the I-40 route is a little longer, but I'm just concerned about being on the I-10 alone after hearing about problems in some of the boarder towns. The plus about the I-10 is being able to do it in 2 days if I stop in Deming, NM. I know they will be long days, but I'm leaving early in the morning so I won't be driving at night.

Appreciate any insight on the two routes or knowledge of Deming. Thanks!!

Merged duplicate post with previous replies and moved to relevant topic location. -Mod
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-01-2013 at 09:01 AM.

7. Default

Thanks, Dave and Donna. I reposted this thread this morning then finally found my original and your replys. Do you think trying to get to Deming, NM in one day is really out of reach? Do you normally plan around 500 miles a day to be your limit for driving safely?

Driving to deming is nearly 700 miles, which is too far to do when you need to get back on the road again the next day. As Dave and Donna both mentioned, you need to plann for 2 overnight stops, as you can't safely cover 1400 miles in 2 days. 600 miles per day really is the upper end of what we recommend on a multi day trip, which is also roughly within the rules that professional drivers must follow.

9. Default

Not sure how old you are but I have done trip like this in my younger days with few hours of break in between.

Its Summer time you have almost 15 hours or so daylight and few hours of night driving can get you to Temple, TX in around 24 hours or so...

I find I10 driving more interesting then I40.

Last lag of trip from I10 from Junction, TX to Temple, TX or from I20 Big Spring, TX to Temple, TX might be tricky as you may have to take state route and it's single lane. Driving at night might be a challenge but doable.

Cheers,

I'm sorry, but doing this trip "with a few hours of break in between" isn't a challenge, it's the kind of thing that leads to fatal crashes.

Trying to drive 1500 miles in anywhere close to 24 hours is extremely reckless and the kind of thing that can and does get people killed. Being young doesn't change those odds, it just makes you feel like you can do anything and get away with it. Drowsy driving does kill people of all ages, and the statistics show that is very much as dangerous as driving under the influence. There's a reason trying such a thing would cause a professional driver to face criminal penalties.