1. Default Chicago to Sarasota, FL roadtrip - need advice on things to see along the way

Planning a roadtrip in June from Chicago to Sarasota, FL and looking for places to stop/see along the way. So far I have:

Mammoth Cave (KY)
    Great Smoky Mountains (TN)
    Stone Mountain (GA)

Looking for something else between GA and Sarasota. Also looking for something different for the way back. Any roadside attractions or interesting things to see other than national parks and mountains? Kid friendly please, got a 7 year old with me.

Thanks all.

Indianapolis has the Children's Museum. Brown County, Indiana is kind of a quaint, crafty-type place.

Louisville has the Louisville Slugger Museum and Churchill Downs. There's the Kentucky Horse Park near Lexington (loved that place when I was a kid!). There's the Corvette Museum near Bowling Green, Kentucky.

St. Augustine is a nice historical place to visit in north Florida.

If you want to brave Atlanta, the Coke Museum is a fun kid-friendly place.

And around the Smokies, there's Cherokee, NC and the whole Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge extravaganza (a traffic nightmare, but full of kid-friendly commercial activities). Not too far away, Asheville, NC is a nice artsy town in the mountains with fun shops and restaurants, plus the Biltmore Estate.

Green County, Wisconsin

Another route you could take would be to head straight down through Illinois via I-57 to I-24. That would take you to Metropolis, IL, home of the Superman Museum. Farther down the road is Land Between the Lakes (including the Elk and Bison Prairie) and Fort Donaldson Battlefield. You could head back out toward Nashville, and then down I-65 towards Huntsville AL, home of the US Space and Rocket Center (Spacecamp), and onto Florida via US-231.

4. Default

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'll check all those places out.