1. Default Flying to Vegas, rent a car, drive to Yellowstone

We live in central Illinois and would like to see Yellowstone early summer. We thought about flying in to Vegas and renting a car.
    Thoughts, suggestions please!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Is Yellowstone the only place you want to see, and if so, why did you pick Vegas?

A fly and drive can be a great way to maximize your time at a destination, and there are plenty of great things you can see in between Vegas and Yellowstone. However, Vegas is about 800 miles away from Yellowstone, which is a day and a half drive. Salt Lake City, or even Denver would save you quite a few miles. If Yellowstone/Tetons are your only destination, it could well be cheaper, or at least similar in price, to fly directly into one of the airports in the Yellowstone area, like Jackson, Bozemon, or Billings.

Tucson, AZ

Default Alternatives

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

My wife and I just went through the exercise of 'planning' a trip to Yellowstone for this fall. For a number of different reasons, we decided to go to Yosemite instead, but still we learned a bit about what it takes to get to Yellowstone. As you may have noticed, there are no large airports with lots of competition serving the Yellowstone area. Certainly not Las Vegas which at over 700 miles away is farther from Yellowstone than Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport is from Chicago. You might want to instead look at flying into Bozeman MT of even Salt Lake City instead. While flying into smaller airports can be more expensive, remember that you're looking at about $200-250 just in gas for the drive from Las Vegas to Yellowstone and back, not to mention that you'd need a motel on the drive up, another on the drive back, and probably a third for the night before your return flight.

Another major consideration is - exactly what do you mean by "early summer"? There is a very narrow window between the time when the roads into and through Yellowstone are finally snow-free in the spring (usually around mid-May to June) and when the long lines of cars full of families with kids fresh out of school start showing up and clogging the roads and popular sites. I have visited Yellowstone previously in the fall and found it nearly empty in October.

4. Default

I've looked at flights from the West Coast and Salt Lake City is less expensive than Bozeman which is less expensive than the other Montana airports. Many years ago our family enjoyed the day's drive from Salt Lake City to Jackson Hole/ Grand Teton National Park.

5. Default Yellowstone

Yellowstone is a definite but we would enjoy visiting the area. We might have been persuaded to change travl plans to early fall. It would most likely be early Sept or early Oct. I know we have to be aware od the weather, but fewer crowds would be great!!!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-29-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Removed broken quote.