Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery stores!

Default Grocery stores!

One thing we always struggled with, when traveling with an RV, was locating grocery stores in a new area. With so many others now traveling with a cooler in the trunk, planning to cook a meal, perhaps we could compile a list of grocery stores in given areas, then mark it as a sticky?

Southern California.....

Stater Bros
    Vons / Pavilions (both a division of Safeway)
    Albertsons
    Ralphs (owned by Kroger)
    Food 4 Less (owned by Kroger/Ralphs)
    Trader Joe's

Also, some Targets and Wal-Marts in our area have a grocery dept. (My local Target does, but my local Wal-Mart does not.)

Donna

2. Default

Add Sprouts to the list is for reasonably priced grocery stores (LA and Arizona) which are not "membership" stores.

Whole Foods has lots of organic items but tends to be more expensive than Sprouts or Trader Joe's. Gelsons and Bristol Farms are very upscale.

I actually do an internet search for grocery stores prior to a trip and my husband looks for gas stations :)

I thought I would share a list that I've come up with, for grocery stores, in hopes that the information might be useful to others who travel either with an RV or like to cook/grill out in motels. This list is nowhere near complete, though I have tried to include both larger and smaller chains. To make it easier for others to use their "frequent shopper" cards, I've listed them by parent companies. Often times, I find that presenting a card from a "sister store" entitles me to any sale prices, build up fuel points, or whatever the store is offering as incentive. This is much preferable to getting yet-another-card which results in more junk email.

Kroger-owned: Kroger, City Markets (CO, WY, UT, NM), Dillons (KS, MO), Foods Co. (NoCalif), Fred Meyer (AK, ID, OR, WA), Fry's Foods (AZ), King Soopers (CO, WY), QFC (OR, WA), Ralph's (SoCalif), Food4Less (SoCal, Chicago, NW IN), Smith's Food and Drug (mountain states), Gerbes (central MO), Harris Teeter (East coast), Pay Less (Central IN), Roundy's (WI, IL), Scott's (IN)

Safeway-owned: Safeway, Von's (SoCal, SoNV), Pavillions (SoCal), Randall's (TX), Tom Thumb (TX), Carr's (AK), Albertsons, Acme (New England), Jewel-Osco (IL, IN, IA), Shaw's (New England), Haggen (OR, WA), United (TX)

Ahold Delhaize-owned: Food Lion (East Coast), Hannaford (New England), Giant-Carlisle (PA, MD, VA, WV), Giant-Landover (DE, DC, MD, VA), Stop-n-Shop (NY Metro, CT, NJ, NE, New England), Martin's (PA, VA, MD, WV)

Larger Independents: Aldi, Costco, HyVee, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Target, Walmart, Sprouts (AL, AZ, CA, CO, GA, KS, MO, NV, NM, OK, TN, TX, UT)

Super-Valu: Save-a-Lot (36 states), Cub Foods (MN, IL), Farm Fresh (NC, VA), Hornbacher's (ND, MN), Shop-n-Save (STL)

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 11-04-2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typos

Default Where the locals shop.

These days I just drive around until I see a supermarket with a full carpark. That is where most of the locals shop. I do not have any hesitation leaving a store I did not like, without buying anything.... or maybe just a bottle of milk. Can never have too much milk. In a new area I might check out two or three or more of those listed in my gps. Or I will ask other customers where there is another grocery store. Just another way of interacting with the locals, who after all, know best.

As for who owns what..... seems it changes just about everytime I travel.

Lifey

Yes, I know what you mean about the "who owns what" bit. It does change a lot. Haggen, for instance, pulled out of the San Diego area after a brief trial, about a year or so ago.

Sometimes it's easy to ask about grocery stores, like when you're already situated in a motel. Driving around wouldn't be easy for someone pulling a long trailer or driving a large motorhome. Some names are easy to figure out, because they have "Food" in their name or subtitle. But I will never forget pulling into a parking lot towing our 27' fifth-wheel trailer, getting a pull through spot where getting out wouldn't be a major issue, then going into the store to find out that it was a hardware store! It was some name like Stop and Shop, or similar to that, in the Pacific Northwest. Fortunately for us, the store right next to it had a name like Jim's or something, and IT was a grocery store.

Thus, the reason for the listing. I'll be adding to the list as I do more research, concentrating on the independent local stores, like Stater Bros, Raley's, and similar.

Donna

Dillon's has pulled out of all their MO locations. Gerbes and Kwik Shop have MO and KS stores.

Price Cutter is a MO chain, Harps (same ownership) is in MO, AR, and OK. Country Mart (also affiliated) is in MO, KS, and OK.

Price Chopper (2 separate chains) are in the northeast - and IA/KS/MO.

Schnucks is a STL-based chain in MO, IA, IL, IN, and WI.

Wegmans is in 6 northeastern states.

I know the Gerbes in Fulton and Columbia still exist, but didn't see reference to Gerbes in KS. My SIL had the Gerbes ad hanging around her house this past summer.

I shopped at Dillons with my SIL in Salina, KS, and used my Fry's card (tried my Ralph's card, but it only works at Ralph's since it is an OLD card). Wasn't aware that they'd pulled out of the metropolitan KC area.

Donna

Update to this thread, pertains to CALIFORNIA ONLY:

At this past Tuesday's election, the people of California had to vote on two separate propositions that dealt with recyclable bags at stores such as grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. The propositions won and the grocery stores have been extremely quick to put the new bags out and get rid of the old bags. Now, shoppers have a choice: pay 10-15c apiece for a heavier-duty plastic bag, the same for a paper sack, or BYOB (bring your own bags). Either bring the reusable tote bags made from vinyl or fabric, or bring the old cheapies that the stores were giving out, it doesn't matter.

Some stores, like Sprouts, give 5c credit for each bag that YOU bring (and use), or charge you 15c for their plastic bag (10c for the paper sack). Walmart and Stater Bros charge 10c for the heavier duty plastic bags, but give you no credit for those you bring yourself.

So if anyone is traveling into California, either prepare to pay for bags or bring your own. My mom just told me that I could have bags and bags of hers to bring back to California from Arizona!

Donna

Default Cathing up.

Congratulations;. There should be more of it.

In 1988, when I was in Europe, I was staggered that I had to pay to get a bag for my groceries. That was the first time I came across it. Since then I have seen this spread. Aldi of course, never gives a bag. There are two States here which have outlawed plastic bags, but unfortunately, Victoria is not one of them.

On another forum I read a most sensible suggestion. Keep a couple of boxes in your car (most stores will give them away free). Take your trolley to the car and empty it into the boxes. Take them out at home, empty them and put them back in the car. So simple! No bags needed.

Lifey

What I do is simple. I save all the cheap free plastic bags and from time to time take them over to Walmart and dump them in the recycling bin. They bundle them up and send them off to the recycler.