1. Default Texas To Connecticut Road Trip

Hey guys.

In a few days I'll be driving from Austin, Tx, to Connecticut.

Although my purpose is moving, I'd like to stop to sleep two or three night on the way up to New England. I'll probably take a few days to explore great attractions on the way as well.

My plan is to camp or use couch surfing.

I'm looking for advice on my route, good stopping locations, and good attractions to see along the way.

I've heard great things about the beauty of Arkansas, for instance. Anyone know of a great camping/hiking/caving opportunity close to routes 30/40, which I'll probably be traversing?

I'm really open to any suggestions and advice.

Thanks.

-Andrew

Default Let's Assume Three Nights

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Since, at around 1900 miles, this trip is far more then you can comfortably drive in just three days, you should plan on three overnight stops at a minimum. The most direct route, as you seem to be aware, is I-35 to Dallas, I-30 to Little Rock, I-40 to past Knoxville, and I-81 north along the Great Valley. Then there's a bit of a difference of opinion. Mapping software, which only cares about getting you there in the least amount of time, will route you on I-78 from near Harrisburg right through the heart of NEW York City to 'Connecticut'. (A more precise destination would help.) For a much more relaxed journey to anywhere in the Nutmeg State, I'd suggest that you stay on I-81 all the way up to Scranton and take I-84 from there.

Now, along that route, major attractions would include Hot Springs National Park outside Little Rock, Great Smoky Mountain National Park on the Tennessee - North Carolina state line, Gettysburg National Military Park in southern Pennsylvania, and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation area on the northern Pennsylvania - New Jersey state line. You could easily spend an entire day at any of those locations, or spend a couple of hours at each of them by carefully picking your overnight stops at roughly Benton AR, Knoxville TN, and Staunton VA. Besides such major stops, there are smaller R&R locations all along the Interstates.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks, AZ Buck.

Actually, I have another question, for you or anyone else.

See, I'm kind of obsessed with fruit. I love fruit growing, orchards, and eating fruit. I eat tons of the stuff.

I'll gladly drive a bit out of my way to get great fruit.

Anyone know of any must-see fruit stops along the way?

For fruit stands etc., nothing beats the eyes keeping a look-out as you drive. Unfortunately, most fruit stands are probably not along the interstates. They do have a tendency to be located in more rural areas, along local and state highways.

Donna

5. Default

I've found the same, Donna. The problem is, you never know where to get off the highway and look.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    For fruit stands etc., nothing beats the eyes keeping a look-out as you drive. Unfortunately, most fruit stands are probably not along the interstates. They do have a tendency to be located in more rural areas, along local and state highways.

Donna

Default One on the Way

If you decide to visit Gettysburg as part of this trip, then one orchard/fruit stand that will be on your way will be between York Springs and Mount Holly Springs PA on PA-94 as you go from US-15 north of Gettysburg via PA-94/PA-34 to rejoin I-81 at Carlisle.