Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New Member - Maine to Myrtle Beach on 2 Wheels....

Hi folks... just researching road trips and found this site. Me and three more of my Fire Fighter friends and partners will be doing a week long road trip starting at home in Southern Maine on 6/3, stopping for the night in York PA (After visiting OCC in Newburgh, and Hershey Park) and of course the HD factory in York.

Day 2 will take us east to Willmington and South through DE, over/under the bridge tunnel system to Virginia Beach (With a stop at Seagull Island)

Day 3 will bring us to Myrtle Beach where we will rest for three days at Kingston Plantation before heading back north.

Day 6 will bring us north to NY

Day 7 will bring us to NYC for the night, and then the following day we will return home to Maine.

Has anyone else every done this route?

Default Even Out the Days?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The thing that first struck me about your proposed itinerary was the length of the first day's ride. I used to live in southern Maine (York) and grew up in Wilmington DE, so I've made that drive scores of times. Now 500 or so miles to York by way of Newburgh would be a full day's ride in and of itself, but you're proposing to make two significant stops at Orange County and Harley-Davidson. What I think would make more sense is to hit OCC on Day 1 and spend some time there, but then pull up well short of York. If you come down through the Delaware Water Gap on scenic US-209, Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton (ABE) would make a good overnight area. Then you can drive into York on the morning of Day 2, when HD will be more likely to be open, visit it, and still get to Virginia Beach by the end of the day. You might even get to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel around sunset. You might also want to check the tide tables since the big naval ships tend to transit at high tide. Between Virginia and Myrtle Beaches, mapping software will tend to route you down I-95, but US-17 would probably prove more interesting and bike friendly.

Then with two days to get back to New York City, you might want to look at heading inland from Myrtle Beach on something like I-73/US-220 to Roanoke and travel the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive with an overnight in the Lexington to Staunton area and then hop on I-81/I-78 to NYC.

AZBuck

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!
    Thanks! This trip morphed from me planning an iron butt (1000+ miles in 24 hours) to me and a friend doing it, to a bucket list ride when one other friend was diagnosed with ALS.

The thing that first struck me about your proposed itinerary was the length of the first day's ride. I used to live in southern Maine (York) and grew up in Wilmington DE, so I've made that drive scores of times. Now 500 or so miles to York by way of Newburgh would be a full day's ride in and of itself, but you're proposing to make two significant stops at Orange County and Harley-Davidson. What I think would make more sense is to hit OCC on Day 1 and spend some time there, but then pull up well short of York.
    It sure is a long day!! But, considering we were planning an iron butt we are up for it. Also... we will not be doing the HD tour on Day one, it will be the morning of day two. Also, we are all fire fighters and medics and want to stop in and see the Fire bike at OCC... we checked, it will be there!! And, we are staying at Hiltons because one of our party has connections so our rooms also played into our route.

Then with two days to get back to New York City, you might want to look at heading inland from Myrtle Beach on something like I-73/US-220 to Roanoke and travel the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive with an overnight in the Lexington to Staunton area and then hop on I-81/I-78 to NYC.

AZBuck
    Thats a great idea. Our plans were a little "loose" regarding ther eturn trip but this sounds like a good idea.

Iron butt or not, that's still a lot to ask on one day -- 500 miles plus OCC and Hershey Park. Depending on how much time you want to spend at each place, you could be on highways and visiting places for over 16 hours. My husband and I tried that last summer and didn't like it at all (550 miles and a 3 hour stop at Vicksburg NHP in MS....too long a day!!!).

Our advice here is usually the same -- 500 to 600 miles in one day with only short stops, or less mileage with longer stops.

Donna

5. Default

Thanks Donna, but we have planned this for a long time and know what we are getting into. We are confident in our riding ability. First time on this website, not the first time on long motorcycle rides.

I am invested in any stories you may have of the areas we will be riding through. Particularly the DE - Myrtle beach leg.. Have you ever done the bridge tunnel? Seagull island!

I have ridden down to Boone NC in 24 hours before, but never been to. Wilmington or coastal VA, NC or SC.

AZbuck.... What about the ships? Do they interfere with the route 13 crossing?

Default The Delmarva Peninsula

Personally, I love the charms of the Delmarva Peninsula, but you will be a bit hard pressed to experience them if you head from York to Wilmington and then, presumably, take DE-1/US-13 down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Instead of taking those main four-lane (DE-1 is also toll) highways, I'd suggest that you take some more scenic back roads. From York, take PA-74 down to Sunnyburn and get on PA-372 to cross the Susquehanna and get to Quarryville. There take PA-472 down through Oxford to Fair Hill MD where it becomes MD-213. Now MD-213 used to be signed as US-213 and runs parallel to US-13 down the western side of the Delmarva Peninsula through small towns and farmland, much more relaxing than the truck heavy US-13. MD-213 will eventually get you down to US-50 which will get you back to US-13 at Salisbury MD.

Ship traffic will have no affect on your crossing the mouth of the Chesapeake. The whole idea of having a 'bridge-tunnel' is that for portions of the crossing the road goes underwater to allow shipping free use of the water above. I merely noted the tides so that you could check beforehand for the most likely times to be able to see on of the Navy's vessels head out from or return to Naval Station Norfolk. There's nothing like seeing a Nimitz-class supercarrier under sail.

AZBuck

7. Default

AZbuck, that looks spectacular!! We just picked 13 because we didnt know the area.... and THAT is why I came here!

Thanks for that information. Any thoughts on the Virginia Beach to Myrtle beach section? :)
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-21-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post

Default Only by Process of Elimination

I'm not as familiar with the Virginia Beach to Myrtle Beach section. The only times I've done it I've either been on I-95 or have gone down NC-12 on the Outer Banks, including the ferries from Hatteras to Ocracoke Islands, and from Ocracoke to Cedar Island. Although not the worst section of I-95, I certainly wouldn't suggest that you go out of your way inland to use it. On the other hand you might not have time for the Outer Banks route, particularly in the summer when traffic on the two-lane NC-12 can be very heavy and the ferries completely booked. While being on a motorcycle should help on both counts, it still could be a rough slow trip. That's why I suggested US-17 as your main route for this leg.

AZBuck

9. Default

That looks like a nice ride too. We planned the trip to have the first day be the longest, as we will be fresh. Then after the second day we have three full days at a resort to rest.

It is going to be awesome.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-21-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post

Last summer, we went from Myrtle Beach up to Chesapeake in one day's drive (heading northbound). We utilized US-17 almost the whole way up. Honestly, if I had it to do again and factored in a bit more time, I would have routed us up the true coastal route and then NC-12 through Cape Hatteras. (If I recall, we decided not to do that due to some of the ferry issues out to Ocracoke. But I regret that now -- wish we'd have gone anyway!)

US-17 is good road, but it drove my husband insane with all of the traffic lights and stop signs. He does not have the patience to handle that -- too much experience as a freeway commercial driver, I guess.

Donna