1. Default Scenic Solo Trip (Chicago/Grand Rapids/Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Indy/Madison/Chicago)

I'm planning a short solo road trip for the summer and I was looking for route suggestions.

I'll have an evening event (concert) each night, so I would like to arrive at each city by 7 or 8pm at the latest. I can leave as early as needed each morning. I'd love to do a bit of sight seeing but I don't have any particular things in mind. I will be staying in hotels near the music venue each night.

Day 1: Chicago to Grand Rapids, MI
    Day 2: Grand Rapids to Pittsburgh, PA
    Day 3: Pittsburgh to Cleveland, OH
    Day 4: Cleveland to Indianapolis, IN
    Day 5-6: Indianapolis to Madison, WI (I have 2 days to get to Madison)
    Day 7: Madison to Chicago

Any route suggestions? Must see attractions? I'd prefer to have a more scenic trip if time allows.

Tucson, AZ

Default Something for Each Leg

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You should be able to find a relaxing drive, interesting town, or scenic attraction on almost any significant drive in America, and your routes are no exception. Between Chicago and Grand Rapids there's Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, several state parks along Lake Michigan, and the award-winning town of Holland which takes its name seriously. The second leg, from Grand Raids to Pittsburgh, is why I say "almost" simply because this is the longest leg of your journey at around 400 miles so you will have very little time to wander off the main roads - I-96/US-23/I-80/I-76. Still, you should take advantage of the proximity of Cuyahoga Valley National Park as you pass south of Cleveland. On the return drive from Pittsburgh to Cleveland there's the opportunity to take PA-8 north through the historic sites of America's first oil wells around Titusville and then head for Erie and use lakefront OH-531/US-20 into the Cleveland Area. If you have time inCleveland for a bit of culture there's either their world-class Natural History Museum of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Next up is Cleveland to Indianapolis. Here again, you might be a little pressed for time as this leg is a little over 300 miles but you should be able to fit in an early drive south on the Ohio & Erie Canalway down to around New Philadelphia before using I-77/I-70 for the rest of the drive to Indy. Then with your extra day to get to Madison, you can afford to swing wide around Chicago, using I-74/I-39 basically, but taking the time to visit some of the state parks along the Illinois River such as Starved Rock and Matthiessen, or historical sites such as the Swiss Historical Village in New Glaurus WI. Finally, on the way back to Chicago, you can explore the Ice Age produced Kettle Moraine State Park.

3. Default

Thank you so much for the welcome and the suggestions! The only thing I had on my list was the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which I haven't been to in over 10 years and I'm looking up and researching the other ideas.