Default outwest road trip adventure!!

Hello Everyone,

Me and my boyfriend are from Detroit and are currently planning a road trip outwest. We would like to see Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Yosemetee, Hoover Dam, Texas, Colorado, Vegas,The Grand Canyon and end up in California. We have about 23 days to do all of this. As far as the dates go we were thinking December 15-Jan 6th. Now I know this will be in the winter and I'm slightly nervous about the road conditions just because we will be in the Mountains!! Any feedback would be awesome. I would like to start planning as soon as possible:) Thank You in advance!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Are you planning to do this as a round trip or a one way trip? A one way trip will be quite expensive, because of one way rental fees, however, you'd be pretty rushed to fit this all in as a round trip in 23 days. Not impossible, but pretty rushed.

You also need to be aware that traveling in winter has issues beyond just road conditions, there are areas that are simply closed for the season. Yellowstone is the big one, as most of the park will be closed to car traffic at this time of year, and would probably be better off to wait for a summer trip.

You really will have to build a couple extra, open, days into your plan, because it is quite possible that you will see at least some weather that will make it difficult to travel, and where you'll likely be better off waiting for a storm to pass than trying to drive forward.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

At the end of December, you can pretty well cross Yellowstone off the list. Very little of it is accessible in winter.

It will take you 4-5 solid days of driving (weather permitting) from Detroit to the coast of California, only stopping at Mount Rushmore. Going home, it will take you at least 5 more days. So, saying 10 days of driving round trip, that leaves you 13 days. Yosemite in the winter is not impossible, but many portions are not accessible (Tioga Pass, Glacier Point, to name two). The rest of it would be very permitting. Be sure to allot a day or so extra in your plans, to allow for snow days and closed highways! (Interstates don't close very often, as "the commercial truckers MUST go through!", but they do close when conditions are baaaaaaaad. And if the trucks are down, regular cars SHOULD be too!)

Joplin MO

Yosemite may be accessible, but you may not be allowed in the gate without a set of tire chains.