Melbourne, Australia

Default Thinking Outside the Box..... a novel way of saving money.

Tonight I was watching 'Border Security: International'. I love those shows and see all the stupid things people think they can get away with.

And so it was that two young Australian guys arrived at the Canadian border in Vancouver, driving a U Haul truck. It is no wonder they were stopped, and searched. Not everyday that international visitors cross the border in a U Haul truck that is empty. Since they had come from California, border guards would not believe them when they said they had never done drugs. The young men were most worried and nervous, which made the border guards all the more suspicious.

So while the truck was being searched, they were sitting inside wondering what they had done wrong, and what was going to happen to them. Nothing was found. The truck was not stolen. All was well, and they were sent on their way.

Seems that renting a car was far too expensive, both being under 25. So they decided to rent a U Haul truck, which apparently does not have such an age restriction, and set about exploring the west coast of the States and Canada - sleeping in the truck.

Not sure if others have ever thought of it. Wonder if it is a common practice. Gotta give them top marks for initiative.

Green County, Wisconsin

I've heard of the idea, but only for people under 21. Uhaul will rent to anyone 18+, without underage fees, so it is away to get around the rules that pretty much ban 18-20 years olds from renting a vehicle.

Having said that, I can't see it as being a very practical option for any roadtrip. For round trip rentals, they start at $20 a day, plus 80 cents a miles. Plus, at about 10 mpg, you'd be spending about 40 more cents in fuel for every mile. A relatively short 3,000 mile trip would cost more than $4000 in fuel and rental fees. One way rentals might actually be cheaper, but with a very strict mileage and per day limit, with big fees if you need more miles or day, those would add up fast too.

It's going to work out cheaper for any US citizen to buy a car, and I'm not sure UHaul will rent to people with foreign licenses.

And that doesn't even get into the practical issues. For example, sleeping in the back of a Uhaul is really not a great idea, as you are completely exposed and are a big target.

Joplin MO

U-Haul does in fact rent to people with foreign licenses:

Do I need a special driver's license?

No. U-Haul trucks are not considered commercial vehicles. U-Haul requires our customers to be 16 years of age to rent our trailers and 18 years of age to rent our trucks. Both require a valid driver's license.

The driver's license can be one of the following:
    - Military
    - One of the 50 states
    - District of Columbia
    - Canadian Province
    - International or from a foreign country
    I was thinking there might be an issue crossing the Canadian border, but nope:

Can I take a U-Haul truck across the U.S./Canadian border?

Yes, you are permitted to cross the U.S./Canadian border during a move. You will be subject to any laws and regulations governing the border.
    "During a move" does bring up questions though if the truck is empty.

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I've heard of the idea, but only for people under 21.
    Their age was not mentioned. They could well have been under 21 - they looked young enough.