1. Default Taste bud road trip

Hi all!

Im brand new to the site and brand new to road tripping (for the most part). I have always wanted to do a road trip but never really had a job that allowed for it. I now have a career that will allow me to take a month off and i want tot take advantage and finally do my road trip with some friends.

My plan is in the early stages right now as i am planning for a summer 2014 trip but i am thinking i would like to fly to Vegas and then spend about two to three weeks driving home seeing the sites but hitting all the great traditional food places of the areas im in (texas BBQ, Memphis ribs, soul food in mississippi, etc etc) I live in the DC area but could fly out of the NYC area if it is cheaper, i can figure that on my own though. I have been up and down the east coast so i would like to focus my drive more on the sights, smells and tastes of the midwest and the mid south.

Does anyone have any tips on the must try food joints or the must see sights in those areas? Also any tips for the newbie road tripper? I have driven from Florida to NY twice but it wasnt so much a road trip as it was a "Get on 95 and go where i need to go" kind of drive.

Thanks in advance!!!

Default A Little Farther West

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

By the way, the most likely place to get relatively reasonably-priced flights from is BWI, and it's closer to downtown DC than Dulles.

Now, there's no need to fly all the way to Las Vegas to experience Texas beef, KC BBQ, or Southern fried everything, so I assume there are reasons for flying all that way. So let me start by recommending some spots for some unique foods on the far western portion of your trip. In Las Vegas, there is no limit to the high end eateries, but in a city known for its replicas of other places (Paris, News York, Venice, etc.) one of my favorite food stops is actually an east coast sandwich shop, Capriotti's. There are several shops in Las Vegas since one of the founders of this Wilmington DE sub shop has moved to Las Vegas. Their signature sub is the Turkey Bobbie. If you then head south into Arizona, the 'local' food is Sonoran Mexican for the most part. One restaurant I've enjoyed a few times in the Phoenix area is Rosita's in Mesa. In Tucson, the well-known Mexican restaurant is Mi Nidito, but for Mexico City Cuisine, I prefer La Parrilla Suiza.

AZBuck

We went to Memphis last year and had ribs at the Rendezvous restaurant (down an alley in downtown behind the Holiday Inn) which was enjoyable. They specialize in a dry rub and meals are served on paper plates. For saucy ribs we went to Corky's (an area restaurant with several locations). We also had fried chicken at Gus' Fried Chicken (the original on Front Street south of downtown). Just outside of Nashville we went to the Loveless Café for great country cooking and famous biscuits. Happy eating!

Excellent BBQ in Nashville - Jack's on Broadway. Excellent steaks in Amarillo - the Big Texan, I recommend the ribeye.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    one of my favorite food stops is actually an east coast sandwich shop, Capriotti's. There are several shops in Las Vegas since one of the founders of this Wilmington DE sub shop has moved to Las Vegas. Their signature sub is the Turkey Bobbie.
    They must be going national, as they've had a couple locations in Wisconisn for a few years now. I do have to agree that their "thanksgiving on a bun" is very tasty though.

for Mexico City Cuisine, I prefer La Parrilla Suiza.
    Interesting you mention them. My first ever night in Tucson, when I was there for a job interview, I wound up eating there. Not on any recommendation, just because I was looking for Mexican food and I drove by.
    We went to Memphis last year and had ribs at the Rendezvous restaurant
    I stopped there on my last trip through Memphis looking for good bbq, and really was pretty underwhelmed.

I'll say the best bbq I've ever had was from some roadside shack on a little two lane road, somewhere south of Atlanta. Couldn't tell you the name of it, but there are plenty of similar type places I've found while driving through Georgia and the Carolinas.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-10-2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: fixed quote format

I'll say the best bbq I've ever had was from some roadside shack on a little two lane road,
    Me too - Ridgewood Barbecue up in the hills between Bluff City and Elizabethton, TN. Although, we have some darn good 'Q right here in Joplin (Woody's) and Super Smokers in Eureka, MO is excellent.

Not sure if you'd be headed through any of these places on your way back, but you could consider:

-St. Louis - the Italian Hill neighborhood has a lot of little Italian places - I've eaten at two of them & enjoyed both (I can't recall the names, or I'd pass them on to you).

-Owensboro, KY - Moonlite BBQ

-Bardstown, KY - Old Talbott Tavern (it's a restaurant and a bed & breakfast)

-Mt. Washington, KY - my family loves this hole-in-the-wall BBQ place there called Bootleg Bar-B-Q. It's tucked in next to a biker bar.