Thread: 5 for the road

1. Default 5 for the road

Hello:
    I am looking for tips on best routes from Toronto On to DAllas Tx It is our first BIG ROAD TRIP we are super excited but want to be as prepared as we can. We are travelling with 3 small kids (7, 5 and 3 yrs) Any advice from the pros is appreciated

Thanks

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We really don't believe in generic "best" routes.

What are you looking for in this "Big Road Trip?" Are you looking just to get there as fast as possible, or do you have time to take scenic detours or other interesting stops? If that is what you are looking for, what kinds of things would you like to include on your trip?

The fastest routes would be to go down through Detroit and then Memphis, either through Indianapolis and Illinois or Cincinnati, Louisville, and Nashville, and then onto Dallas via Little Rock. Its a 1400 mile trip so you'll need a minimum of 2 overnight stops each way.

I am from outside of Toronto and we have been taking road trips with our family since our boys were two years old. We always plan on stopping every three hours to let the kids stretch their legs and blow off steam. We make the journey part of the trip. If you plan on driving like a road warrior with few stops, it will probably not be as enjoyable for everyone (e.g. more whining and fighting). We've travelled to Disneyworld many times, Mount Rushmore and to California and back and all survived and enjoyed it (plus lots of other places too). Of course in car movies have helped keep them occupied for a bit.
    If you take Midwest Dave's suggestions, Cincinnati has a great children's museum, zoo and aquarium. Memphis has Mud Island that you take an aerial tram car to and has a scale model of the Mississippi River kids can walk through and splash around in. Enjoy your trip.

4. Default

Thank you Midwest Michael!! I am really enjoying this site!! We will take into consideration your tips when planning our trip

5. Default

Thanks!! we r certainly trying to keep it fun and sane for all of us. We plan to start our travels at night so the kiddies can sleep for most of it, and then stop as needed. have had any problems with car sickness? that seems to be a warning from everyone we have talked to, we plan on having gravol handy, LOL

Having traveled with our kids in the days before in-car movies, and as a child with my parents when we didn't even travel with a TV, here are some great things to do with kids in the car:

* Kids' recordings! Disney songs, kids' favorites, and what have you either on an iPod/phone with an aux cord, or on CD.

* Sing with them -- same songs, with or without recordings.

* Games such as "I Spy", "The Alphabet Game", or "Count the (blank)." This will keep them busy for hours!

* Pack a bag or backpack with favorite toys, and an occasional new toy (dollar store type work well). You keep the bag, and dole out the items as needed. If you have a reader that doesn't get car sick, you could include a couple of books. (Used bookstores and thrift shops usually are a treasure for these.)

There's an article on this site about traveling with little ones, too. Check out this page of articles which includes several on traveling with kids and grandkids.

Donna

Default Counter productive.

Thanks!! we r certainly trying to keep it fun and sane for all of us. We plan to start our travels at night so the kiddies can sleep for most of it, and then stop as needed.
    You might want to reconsider this. It's not much fun sleeping in a car and driving at night where the only scenery is that of black top through the headlights. It might be difficult to remain sane as well when the Kids wake up full of life and you are exhausted from being up all night. As you mentioned earlier, the journey is part of the trip, enjoy it together. By all means start out early in the day, but driving through the night really can be counter productive and put the family our of sync with each other, not to mention the safety issues of driving at night having been up all day with work or Kids.

My advice would be to keep the mileage at a sensible level each day where you all get to take breaks and let off steam and then have a relaxing evening followed by a good nights sleep in a proper bed, that's both fun and sane. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    You might want to reconsider this. It's not much fun sleeping in a car and driving at night where the only scenery is that of black top through the headlights. It might be difficult to remain sane as well when the Kids wake up full of life and you are exhausted from being up all night. As you mentioned earlier, the journey is part of the trip, enjoy it together. By all means start out early in the day, but driving through the night really can be counter productive and put the family our of sync with each other, not to mention the safety issues of driving at night having been up all day with work or Kids.

My advice would be to keep the mileage at a sensible level each day where you all get to take breaks and let off steam and then have a relaxing evening followed by a good nights sleep in a proper bed, that's both fun and sane. ;-)
    I agree mostly with Dave, with one exception - stretches where there really isn't much to see or do, those I will drive at night and haven't had an issue thus far with getting out of synch with the kids. They sleep, I drive, but it's not all night (though it happened twice in the years I've been road-tripping with them since I don't make reservations for hotels as I'm going and once I had to drive three extra hours to get to a hotel that had vacancy and the other was my one and only "oh no" there are NO hotels for the next 200 more miles and going back it was 80, so I kept going). So my advice is to figure out where you'll stay, make sure they have a vacancy (lesson learned, I do it now) and target that while the kids sleep - with the two exceptions above, I usually make myself stop before midnight if I'm doing night driving with the kids, that way I get in, get sleep too and am ready for the day with the kids in the morning.