1. Default Driving from lomita, ca to petoskey, mi 2440 miles how many days

Hi, if i do this trip,would be departing approx July 1, driving I-40. Mapquest put it at 2440 miles. Wondering if i could do 610 miles a day, actually would like to do a bit more the first day to have a"cushion" of say, 75-100 miles or so if hit snags on another day..
    Wondering how my 80ish yr old mom would handle the trip.
    I've done fine on past trips of 3.5 days from Nashville and from Orlando in fall and winter when i had to stop due to darkness...
    Any helpful advice? I figure mom can nap in the minivan. I would stop briefly very 2-2.5 hrs say 10 mins to stretch...plus bit longer for gas refueling s...
    So does it seem doable driving from say 8 a.m to 7 p.m.... Would that math out to 610 miles a day... Course in calif from Los,Angeles to San Diego the freeway goes 80-85 these days so I'd have to train myself to drive s,owner...

Welcome!

I think Mapquest is misleading you - my software shows that going by I-40 is more like 2500 miles. The fastest route according to my software is I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80/I-94/I-196/US-131, 2380 miles.

You may be able to do it in 4 days, but I think both you and your mom would be pretty beat by the time you got there. I'd advise you strongly to allow 5 days and see how it goes. No hotel reservations should be necessary, just drive till you know it's near time to quit and find a hotel.

If you have no choice and MUST do this in 4 days, you need to plan overnights around Salina UT (note - there are NO services between Salina and Green River - 110 miles), Ogallala NE, and Davenport IA.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think your plans are pretty good as you've laid them out. 4 days is the minimum we would recommend for this trip, and if it was any longer at all, you'd really need to look at adding another day. Your estimate of needing to be on the road for about 11 hours a day is possible, however, I suspect traveling with your mother is going to make for some longer stops and it could take a little longer than you're planning for each day.

The only thing I would pretty strongly advise against is trying to push farther on day 1. 650-700 miles is too much for one day, especially in your situation. Keep your days even, and have an extra day available at the end in case something does come up.

As far as how your mom will handle the trip, you're going to know her far better than us. However, it wouldn't shock me at all if you would all be more comfortable adding another day so you didn't have to spend quite so many hours a day on the road.

Actually - looking at a map, where are you coming up with your 2440 mile number? The shortest/fastest route would be I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80/I-94/I-196/US-131 going through Denver. That comes out at 2380 miles. Now 60 miles isn't usually a big deal on a trip of this size, but it looks like you might be looking at taking I-40 and then cutting up US-54 through Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. I wouldn't recommend that route, because you won't be able to maintain 600 miles days when you get off the freeway and you'd be at the point then where you'd really need another overnight stop.

If you go the shorter route, good stopping points would be Salina or Richfield, UT; Sterling, CO or Ogallala NE, and Iowa City. You'll kind of be forced to have a longer day on day 2 or 3, and you really can't push farther on day one because Salina really is your last real option for finding a motel until Green River, another 100 miles down the road - which is just too far for a single day.

Default At 80 years of age??

You will know your mother best, and I am sure that after one day of 11+ hours in the car, she may be fine. But consider the cumulative effect of this over two, three and four days. This is quite brutal on an elderly lady. Don't count on her being able to snooze in the mini van. She may, but it will not make her feel any better. If anything, sleeping in a sitting position in a moving vehicle could cause more problems.

I would be monitoring her condition closely, as I am sure she will not want to complain. I'm a few years younger than your mother, and ever so grateful that my son would never consider such a grueling trip.

Lifey

5. Default

Thanks for your input, Lifey. I am trying to convince her to fly non-stop to mid-mi and drive from that pt... Her choice is to travel approx 50 hrs by Amtrak... Depart tues evening, have less than 2 hrs to make a chane of train Thurs afternoon in Chicago, arrive at 9 p.m. Thurs nite holland... Sit up, sleep sitting up, no shower for the whole trip vs getting a miniscule sleeping rm... So i was trying to figure out if we left on mon morning we could get to final destination thurs nite... I do have fri that could be a travel day...
    She insists she can make the trip by train by herself....not my opinion and if she won't use the sleeping compartment, i can't oversee her if i am using one vs sitting beside her....

She has flown there before but just isn't budging on flying this time... So I've made hotel reservations july4-10th that i can cancel. She's unhappy with those but alot of places already booked... And not alot in $80 range to start... I've got my work cut out for me....

Default I can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Califjeanne View Post
    She has flown there before but just isn't budging on flying this time...
    Yeah! we can get a bit that way. I know what my mother was like. Have resolved to make life easier for my children.

But will I?

Lifey

and then cutting up US-54 through Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. I wouldn't recommend that route,
    I would not recommend it either. I took it once, it's mostly 2 lane, it was very windy, the road surface through Texas was in terrible shape, and I got nailed in a speed trap in Oklahoma for 46 in a 40.

Default connections

Quote Originally Posted by Califjeanne View Post
    Depart tues evening, have less than 2 hrs to make a chane of train Thurs afternoon in Chicago, arrive at 9 p.m. Thurs nite holland... Sit up, sleep sitting up, no shower for the whole trip vs getting a miniscule sleeping rm...
    I would be much more concerned about a 2 hour connection than the train ride itself.

If she can handle being in a car for 12 hours a day for 4 days in a row, then I don't think being on the train will really be any less comfortable. At the very least on the train, she can get up and move around throughout the trip. If you can afford a sleeper car, the trip should be very comfortable really.

The problem is that there is just a very high risk that her train would be late getting into Chicago. Amtrak is at the bottom of the priority list for train travel, so they frequently have to yield to Freight traffic. Since there is only one train to Holland/Grand Rapids per day, she would be stuck in Chicago for the night, if the connection is missed.
    I am trying to convince her to fly non-stop to mid-mi and drive from that pt...
    Are there any non-stop flights to mid-michigan from SoCal? I'd think Chicago or Detroit would be your closest options without making a connection.

The closest airports with scheduled service to Petoskey are Grand Rapids and Flint. Next closest are Detroit and Chicago. Checking Southwest from LAX, the only one with nonstop service is Chicago - and it goes to Midway, not O'Hare. That can actually be a good thing.

There are no flights at all from LAX to either Grand Rapids or Flint that don't involve a plane change.

Default Airport Assistance

Just for the record, having to change planes during a journey is no big deal these days. There is wheelchair assistance available at all airports. All one has to do is ask at the time of booking or check in. The airline who organises this takes the passenger to the connecting flight, organising everything, luggage, boarding passes, etc. and board the passenger before general boarding starts. I have found this assistance invaluable as airports get larger and larger, and I get more and more unable to cover the distances.

Lifey