Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trinidad to Lake Tahoe - best route

driving from Trinidad to Incline Village Lake Tahoe, any advice on best route or roads to avoid - will be going June 28th

Welcome!

Which Trinidad?

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome!

Which Trinidad?
    northern california

Default Not a Lot of Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Usually, the shorter the route, the fewer real options there are for any RoadTrip. This becomes even more so when you've got a couple of mountain ranges to cross. You really only have two viable routes for your journey, and both start out with you taking CA-299 over the Coastal Ranges to Redding CA. There you face a choice. If getting there in the absolute shortest amount of time is your priority, you would head south on I-5 to the Sacramento and then use US-50 over the Sierra Nevada to Lake Tahoe. If you want more scenery or to avoid the Sacramento urban area and don't mind a little more time behind the wheel, then at Redding, instead of I-5 south, take CA-44 east past Lassen Volcanic National Park to CA-36 through Susanville and US-395 south through Reno to Lake Tahoe. That alternative is 15 miles shorter but about ten minutes longer. The choice is yours.

AZBuck

Incline Village is on the north side of the lake, so US-50 would be out of the way.

Fastest route is from Redding, take I-5 south to Williams, then CA-20 east to I-80 to Truckee, then CA-267 to CA/NV-28.

If you go through Susanville, you would want to pick up NV-431 south of Reno to get to Incline Village.

You are looking at about a 8 hour drive.

Default No Difference in Time

There is, according to my software mapping routine, absolutely no difference in driving time between Trinidad and Incline Village whether you go via Susanville or Sacramento. They are both predicted to be exactly 6 hours, 47 minutes, plus whatever stops the original poster chooses to make. This is still best left to the him on the basis of his own considerations.

AZBuck.

Okay - my software disagrees slightly. US-101/CA-299/CA-44 through Susanville/US-395 (I-580)/NV-431 is 383 miles, 7 hours, 11 minutes.

US-101/CA-299/I-5 through Sacramento/US-50/NV-28 is 442 miles, 7 hours, 28 minutes.

However, it comes up with this as the fastest - US-101/CA-299/I-5/I-80/CA-267/CA-28/NV-28. 429 miles, 6 hours, 50 minutes.

I retract my recommendation for CA-20, it saves miles but not time, unless you hit Sacramento in rush hour. Either going via Susanville or via Sacramento is good, but if you go via Sacramento, don't take US-50, take I-80 to Truckee. If you go via Susanville, NV-431 off of US-395 (which is actually I-580 now) takes you right into Incline Village.

Default 'Best' ?

As you can see there are many options and no single 'best route' as that will depend on if you want to get there quickly or whether there is something that appeals to you along the way. It sounds like you want to do the trip same day and looks as though it might be part of a 'bigger plan' as you say you are from TX, so it could also depend on from where you come. If you haven't done so all ready, you could consider heading further south on CA101 and vist Humboltd Redwood State park and drive the famous 'Avenue of the Giants'. You would then continue south through Garberville to Redwood Valley and take CA20 past Clear Lake to Yuba City, [or Sacramento] continuing to I80.

That's another good recommendation. US-101/CA-20/I-80/CA-267 is 400 miles, 7 hours, 44 minutes. If you go south on I-5 to Sacramento to pick up I-80, that adds about 30 miles and may be a bit faster depending on traffic.

No matter which way you go, you will be driving on a lot of narrow winding roads, and the computer drive times will be quite optimistic. This is a full day trip requiring an early start.

Thanks to everyone, yes this part of our road trip from houston. Lake Tahoe will be our turning back point, I have till July 8th to get home and haven't figured return route yet, but am looking forward to seeing California again