1. Default Riding to Sturgis, South Dakota August 2013

We are heading to Sturgis August 3, 2013 from West Virginia. Hoping to get some advice on the best roads to ride the Harley on and some awesome sights to see or stops to make!!!

Tucson, AZ

Default If Time Is No Object

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The thing about 'roads less traveled' is that they are usually less traveled because they take longer to drive. This is certainly true of scenic byways where the objective is usually to relax and go at a slower pace so that you can enjoy the scenery. But if you can add a day or two to the 'normal' 2˝ days needed to get from West Virginia to Sturgis, then there are certainly options. They start at West Virginias northwestern border, the Ohio River. There are scenic roads all along the northern bank of the river through Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois that are worth exploring. I've driven the section between Huntington and Cincinnati and it was very nice. On a bike it will be even better. This would also put you within visiting distance of St. Louis.

You could then take the Great River Road up to Hannibal and US-36 across Missouri to St. Joseph. The Loess Hills Scenic Byway would then follow the Iowa side of the Missouri River up to the southwestern corner of South Dakota where SD-44, while not officially designated as a scenic byway, would offer a good ride across the southern part of the state and bring you up to Badlands National Park.

Sound like they're worth making time for?

Green County, Wisconsin

I would think that any trip from the Eastern US to Sturgis on a Harley should include a swing through Milwaukee, and taking a look through the Harley Davidson Museum.

Between there and Sturgis, I'd look at taking a trip down the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive west of Milwaukee, taking US-14 between Milwaukee and the Mississippi River, and Bluff Country Scenic Drive (MN-16) through SE Minnesota, before finishing the trip on I-90.

Of course, if this is a round trip, you could consider that one direction, and use some of Buck's fine suggestions the other way.