Default Las Vegas to New Jersey

Im sure this trip has been posted before but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a good cross country route from Las Vegas to Somerset NJ (Or just anywhere in NJ)....

I am driving alone w/ 2 dogs and will need pet friendly hotels.

Thanks for any help along the way.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are lots and lots of good routes. What are you looking for? The fastest route? A route that avoids tolls? A scenic route? A route that takes you past some specific places?

The fastest and most straightforward route would be to take I-15 to I-70 and take that all the way west to PA, and then finish by taking I-76/I-78 to Jersey. It's a touch over 2500 miles and could be done in 5 days. Suggested stopping points would be Grand Junction CO, Colby KS, Columbia MO, and Columbus OH. You can use the RTA hotels booking tool to find pet friendly options in each of those places, just go to filter your search, and click on "pets allowed," although even there check with each property about their rules for the number and size of dogs allowed.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-28-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Reversed Direction

Choosing the Best Option
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The longer a cross-country trip, particularly east-west trips in the US, the more options there are for roads that will get you from Point A to Point B. Your's is a classic example. The majority of software mapping routines will send you up through Denver, then use I-76 to connect with I-80 for the rest of your trip. But there is, in my opinion, a much better route that will save you dozens of dollars in tolls and avoid a number of large congestion-clogged cities. Do take I-15/I-70 to Denver, perhaps one of the most beautiful roads in America, but after Denver stay on I-70 all the way to Harrisburg PA (the last little bit will be I-76, but still the PA Tpk) and then use I-81 to I-78 and home.

Since you will be on Interstates all the way, you should have more than enough lodging options. Where to stop will depend on the pace you set for yourself, the level of comfort you require, and what your budget is, besides the needs of your pet. You can get a good idea of how pet-friendly a given chain will be by checking their national website, but the ultimate decision on whether to house your pet will depend on the local owner/operator.

AZBuck

An option to cut out the PA Turnpike tolls would be to head north from Columbus OH on I-71 to I-76, take that through Akron to I-80, and take that across PA to PA-33, take that south to I-78. This only adds about 40 miles.

I've gone the opposite direction twice -- from NJ (along I-80) to San Diego. We took I-80 from NJ through PA to Akron, where we caught I-76 then I-71 down to I-70. Our first overnight stop was in Springfield, OH the first time, and just outside of Dayton (by Wright-Patterson AFB) the second time. We stopped in Columbia, MO for the next (long family visit) stop. When we left Columbia on I-70, we made it to Burlington, CO (just under 600 miles) -- but Colby or Goodland KS would be a better stop for you (more choices and a little less mileage). Our final stop is almost always Richfield, UT, but Grand Junction or Green River would be better for you since you are "only" heading to Las Vegas (and we are always going 320 miles beyond that, to San Diego). As was pointed out, the scenery along I-70 between Denver and Salina, UT, is just gorgeous. We love I-15 in Utah, too, particularly the Virgin River Gorge just south of St George, UT.

I pointed this out in another thread, but two good places to eat dinner in Columbia MO are Flat Branch Bar & Grill, and Bandana's BBQ. Drury Inns are nice, and they even throw in dinner with the overnight, and they do take pets. So does the La Quinta in Columbia (as do most La Quinta's). Both have good ratings, though we've never stayed in any of the hotels in Columbia (we have family in the area).

Donna

wow well thank you all for the quick replies! I am looking for the quickest most cost effective route as I just want to get there! Not much sight seeing going on.

Thank you so much.

Default In Which Case...

The I-15/I-70 route is the one to take. You do have a choice at the eastern end between using the Pennsylvania Turnpike for a bit between New Stanton and Harrisburg (toll = $15) which is the route I suggested, or using I-71 north from Columbus OH to around Lodi and then using I-76 over to I-80 (free, but 50 miles longer to Somerset) which is the route glc suggested. The choice is yours.

AZBuck