Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crazy 7000 mile road trip... thoughts?

Hello all, I'm new.

I am 27 and have 4 other friends that would like to go on an epic road trip. Here's the map of what we want to do: http://bit.ly/ZPetzr

It's 7000 miles and we have 8 or 9 days to do this in. We are all of the same mindset, this isn't a 'doing' trip its a 'seeing' trip. So we know we will be in the car for a loooong time and are prepared for that. We are committed to driving through the night repeatedly taking driving shifts...

Questions:
    1) Has anyone gone on a trip this long?
    2) Anyone have any tips?

Before you say 'don't do it you'll be miserable, its been a lifelong dream to do a trip like this and literally fit in as MUCH as possible. So I'm looking for any advice or thoughts you might have even if its negative. Thanks.

Default Crazy and deadly !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

My first thought is , SERIOUSLY ? Even if this were a professional challenge and you had been training 'forever', it would still be extremely dangerous and absolutely no fun ! You would need to be crammed in a car together for 15 hours a day with minimum stops for food, bathroom and short rest breaks and to fill with fuel.

No one is going to get any proper rest in a moving car like this and if you managed to survive the first 2 or 3 days/nights you would soon starting getting very exhausted and irritated with each other to a point where you would be a danger to yourselves and those that are sharing the road with you.

Before you say 'don't do it you'll be miserable, its been a lifelong dream to do a trip like this and literally fit in as MUCH as possible. So I'm looking for any advice or thoughts you might have even if its negative. Thanks
    Don't do it, miserable is the least of your worries. This dream trip will be a nightmare, please trust me ! You would not be able to fit anything in anyway. Wait until you have a 3 to 4 weeks available and then have a true dream trip.

Sorry, but this is an extremely bad idea and one that you really need to reconsider, for everyone sake !

Default When?

Dave did not even mention the matter of fatigue, from which you will all be suffering after the first day or two. Fatigue is a killer, and the cause of thousands of deaths on the roads, every year.

What I would like to know is, when will you be taking this trip? Your map shows some of the areas in which I will be travelling this summer. As a matter of self preservation, I just want to make sure I am not anywhere at the same time as you plan to be there...... under your current plan.

Lifey

Default it won't be what you claim to want

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton Fouts View Post
    this isn't a 'doing' trip its a 'seeing' trip. So we know we will be in the car for a loooong time and are prepared for that. We are committed to driving through the night repeatedly taking driving shifts.
    This won't be a doing trip, but it won't be a seeing trip either. You don't even have time to pause for a minute at the destinations you claim to want to see. You won't be seeing "as much as possible," because even at the places you drive by, you still won't "see" them because you'll have forced yourself into a state of exhaustion where you will barely be able to keep your eyes open.

And of course, if you can't keep your eyes open, you certainly can't be a safe driver. It is beyond foolish to think that you can get enough sleep to be a safe driver over the course of 9 days, when all you are doing is sitting in a car trying to "sleep" upright in a moving car. There is no way around it, not only will this not be a fun trip, this will not be a "seeing trip," it will only be a trip to see if you can beat the odds and avoid getting into a serious -if not fatal- crash while operating a 2 ton machine at 75mph in a state of exhaustion. Drowsy driving is every bit as dangerous as drunk driving, and there would be no way to avoid driving impaired with a plan like this.

My advice: Do an "epic" trip where you actually can see as much as possible - but doing that means you need to be in a position where you can both be a safe driver and actually be awake when you arrive. With 9 days, you could even race out to California and back, but you have to basically drive straight there, and race straight back - sticking to interstate highways, not the 2 lane roads or detours up to the Pacific Northwest you've got planned right now. Even at an extremely fast pace, pausing only for a quick picture at the places you've listed and then to get a good night sleep at the end of the day, to safely do the loop you've listed here, you'd need at least another week, and I'd strongly recommend adding more time than that if you want to actually say you had fun at the end of it.

If you want to drive 7000 miles in 8 or 9 days, you might as well rent time on a closed track and just keep going around and around. That will accomplish basically the same thing, and when you crash you won't endanger innocent people. Sorry, but you aren't going to get any support for such craziness here.

Well I really appreciate everyone's honesty. To answer the first question, May 7th-16th was the idea.

Secondly, I want to say that we will definitely be cutting things out and slowing down a LOT if it were the case that we got drowsy/miserable. So I'm not so headstrong that I would put myself or others in danger. So if we only get to Seattle and back, then that's fine over 9 days.

However I have planned the trip out to the minute, and you could read my actual itinerary if you wanted to, but except for one night, we will be staying in hotels every night and also having 3-5 hours of sightseeing etc.

So to those thinking I'm being unreasonable, this is a 'dream' to complete this in 8-9 days, if it doesn't happen thats fine we will cut it short.

If you have any other advice, other roads to take from what you have seen in the op, then I'd be happy to hear it.

I can guarantee that if you are planning your trip down to the minute, you are in for a harsh reality once you get on the road. No one needs to see the details to know that for a fact.

There simply is no way to make the math work - going every place you want to go, covering the miles you need to cover to do it, and having time to sleep every night. It is simply impossible to do it all. And that is not a word that is said lightly.

I can promise you, the travel time estimates you get from a computer program are not close to reality once you get on the road and have real world stops and slowdowns. Everything you want to do will take longer than you've planned.

And I'm sorry, even attempting this trip means you will be putting other people in harms way. You simply can't drive the number of miles you need to drive every day and possibly be safe on the road, even with multiple drivers. Even driving through the night one time, means that none of you will have enough sleep, and you'll be operating from a state of sleep deprivation from that point forward that will carry through the rest of your trip. The point where you feel drowsy behind the wheel is long after the point where you've become a danger to others. When you are too tired to drive, you are also too tired to be thinking clearly, so how do you expect your overtired brain to tell you when it is time to stop?

Please, rethink your plan, now, before you get on the road, and before you hurt someone. Like Lifey, I will also be on some of these same roads the same time that you are, and I don't want to be killed or injured by your desire to live an extremely dangerous dream.

Default It's a start.

I can honestly say that it won't happen, you can not plan a trip of this magnitude to the minute and you are no where close to an achievable trip. How do you expect to sight see for 3-5 hours after having been on the road for 15 hours every day ? Maybe for a day or 2 it would be OK, [not fun] but not for 9 days one after the other.

It sounds as though you are falling into the trap of taking mapping program travel times as gospel when they do not take any stops or delays into consideration. Real world driving is a totally different ball game and you really need to start over with your planning. If you halved your mileage you would still be on the road for around 7 hours a day which would give you time to do some sight seeing as you plan and get a good nights rest and start out fresh again the next day.

You really need to work on a realistic plan before we can be of much help to you. We are all road trip enthusiasts and most of us have done some huge distances, with that comes experience and for any one with real experience you will get the same answer over and over.

It's nice to see that you have shown a willingness to ease back if needed, but the truth is you will have to anyway and it's worth going back to the drawing board and starting over before setting out. You will have many opportunties for road trips and perhaps this one with more time available, but don't be turning your dream into a nightmare

Did you take note of what I said at all? I said this is a 'dream' not saying we will or even CAN do all of this, but we will set out to go on a road trip and if we can make it half way, great, if its to only chicago, great, but I really don't know what is so hard to understand here. It's not like I want to overdo anything, the ultimate plan is what I set forth above, not that I have to complete it like a race, I'm not stupid.

What you aren't understanding is that even by attempting this trip, you will be putting others in harms way.

It is one thing to come up with a plan that is pushing the limits and from there saying, it might be too much and you're thinking of cutting back from there. If you said you were trying to do this trip in 2 full weeks - almost double the amount of time you have - it would still be a huge undertaking where we'd be suggesting that you probably need to cut things down if you want to actually have fun. And such a response that you'll take it as it goes would make sense.

Your plan isn't just a little too much, it simply doesn't reflect the rules of reality, and yet you are still planning to use it as a starting point. You would need days that are 30+ hours long each to be able to do everything you've said you want to do, and yet you think you've found away to map this trip out minute by minute. That's a fatal flaw, and that's what you don't see to be understanding from the advice of the multiple people who have responded.

At some point, you might decide that you are doing too much, but the question is, how miserable will you be, and how many lives will you have put in danger in the meantime.

So the question is, did you take note of what everyone else said at all?