1. Default Kelowna BC to St George Utah

Hey looking for advice for summer roadtrip with two 12yr olds, recommendations for stops on the way we have 2 weeks to explore canyons around St George but wondered about there and back, perhaps Old Faithful??
    We would like the fastest route there and take our time coming back

South of England.

Default Involve the Kids.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It would appear that the quickest route would be cutting straight down through Washington to Kennewick and I82 to I84 and I15. With the Kids this will be a minimum of a 2.5 day drive to keep things sane and more importantly, safe. Boise ID could be a first night stop but would be a long day. Perhaps Baker City and Salt Lake City would be a better choice to have time to break the journey.

Taking your time coming home could mean that when you have finished exploring Zion and Bryce canyon, Antelope canyon Lake Powell and the like, you could head out towards Moab via Utah scenic byway 12 and Capitol Reef, and visit Arches and Canyonlands. From there you could head towards the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone via Dinosaur National Monument and Flaming Gorge Res if you have the time available.

Sit down with the Kids and open a good map and start planning it with them. If they have a say and a vested interest in the trip it will be more fun for all ! Once you have a few more dots on the map we can help to 'Fine tune' your trip, answer any other questions and make suggestions.

3. Default

thanks, yes kids already researching! Looks good for fast trip there. On the return we are looking for must see places not too far off the route - I'm tempted to visit old faithful at Yellowstone but not sure if it's doable in a day?

Green County, Wisconsin

It is certainly possible to see Old Faithful in a day - it goes off about every 90 minutes, and is a short walk from the parking lot.

However, it would be a real shame, imho, to go to Yellowstone and only visit Old Faithful and/or only spend one day in the park. While it is certainly a nice, highlight attraction, Old Faithful wasn't really even close to being my favorite part of the park. There is so much there that you can't find anywhere else.

It's not exactly clear - do you have 2 weeks for the entire trip, or do you have 2 weeks in Southern Utah plus your time for the drive from BC, and if so, how much time are you planning for your "fast trip" there?

In any case, I would try to make room for at least 2 or 3 days in Yellowstone, if you are going to include it in your trip.

5. Default

Thank you, to be clear we have 2 weeks based in St George UT for exploring canyons, then we drive back to BC , any views on Salt Lake City?

Green County, Wisconsin

Have you considered spreading that out a bit, so you're not only in St. George?

I mean, the Zion area is great, but things are so spread out I don't think you'll want to spend all of your time in St. George anyway. Bryce Canyon and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, for example, would be pretty long daytrips from St. George. Plus, that would give you more time to also explore things like Yellowstone on the way there and back?

You still didn't say, how much time are you planning for your drives there and back? It would be two days minimum as a speed run, but that wouldn't leave any extra time for exploring or taking detours.

7. Default

We are based in St George at a resort for 2 weeks visiting so thats fixed, apparently its 2.5hrs from Grand Canyon, we will do the day trips then chill as we have time!

Drive there we want as fast as possible.
    Drive back we could take between 3 -4 days

Joplin MO

"As fast as possible" is at LEAST 2 days, and they will be long. I would actually allow 2.5 days. On the way back, even 4 days doesn't leave you much time for any significant sightseeing. You could certainly go through Yellowstone, but if you do, you need to concentrate on just that and take fastest route from St. George to there and from there back home. It's a full day from St. George to Yellowstone and a full 1.5 days from there to home.

I think you may be underestimating drive times a bit - St. George to the North Rim is more like 3 hours. Zion is about 45 minutes. Bryce Canyon is about 2.5 hours, and you can go through Cedar Breaks in one direction, this adds a bit of time. Las Vegas is about 2 hours via I-15, then another 45 minutes to Hoover Dam. You don't have to go through the city to get to the dam, you can go through Valley of Fire and near the lakeshore instead. There really isn't that much else close enough for a daytrip.

Southern California

St George is a lovely place, and there is plenty to do around there. GLC has suggested the drive times to several places. Let me add -- Cedar Breaks and Grand Staircase-Escalante NM.

BTW, bring warm weather clothes. St George itself in the summer can be HOT, as can Zion.

10. Default

Thank you all for input, Donna for reassuring us that St George is a good base, I think on reflection maybe as we will have visited many canyons on the drive back a visit to Salt Lake city would be good and save Yellowstone for another year!