1. Default San Fran, Grand canyon, Austin, New Orleans, Nashville, Shenandoah Park, New York

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I will be travelling to the states to meet up with a couple of friends late June. We were hoping to drive from San Francisco to New York taking in the places I've mentioned in the title to this post. Problem is....can it / should it be done in two weeks? I'm not a big fan of tight itineraries and I dont want it turn into a cannonball run! Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Joplin MO

This is about a 4000 mile trip. Driving 10 to 12 hours a day, it will take you 7 days just to make the trip, not counting any sightseeing. So, if you have 2 weeks, it is certainly doable, but you may wind up being rushed.

Tucson, AZ

Default Easy

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You're looking at about 4000 miles, more or less, so while that's quite a lot of driving, it will fit quite comfortably in a two week time frame. You'll have to average about 300 miles a day, well within our recommended limit of 550 miles a day. So you can either spend several hours each day stopping at sites along the way, or you can alternate days of heavier driving with days where you basically just stay put and relax altogether, or -of course- combinations of the two. You won't need a "tight itinerary" but you should map out where you would like to be each day, or even every several days, just so that you will know if/when you're falling behind the pace you'd need to keep up in order to make it to New York without having to rush it at the end. So what kinds of places/roads/adventures were you looking to build your trip around?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Not Cannonball, but Brisk

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The trip you're planning can be done, and you could have a good time. However, if you aren't a fan of "tight itineraries" then it might not be exactly what you are looking for.

You're looking at about 4,000 miles of driving, which works out to about 8 full days worth of driving. Now depending if SF and NY are included in your 2 weeks, you've got 7 places you want to visit. Just putting that together, you'd have roughly one day each to spend at those places.

That's not unreasonable at all, but it does mean that you will have to keep moving, and it will mean you won't have a lot of extra time for other potential stops along the way. If that's the kind of trip you want, well, that's something only you can decide.

5. Default

Good advice, thanks....I'm thinking about taking one of two options: Either I stop at Nashville and fly up to New York or perhaps try to extend the stay to two and a half weeks. That should make everything a little more relaxed.