Default Two Sr. Citizens traveling from San Francisco to Maryland early next March

Two Sr. Citizens traveling from San Francisco to Maryland early next March with 2 dogs - any suggested routes that avoid the worst weather?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Every possible cross country route has the possibility of seeing winter weather, and going south really doesn't change your odds very much.

The best bet is to plan for the most direct route, meaning you'll be on the road for the least amount of time, and have the fewest potential days to see bad weather, and the most possible days to sit and wait if you do hit a bad storm.

That means I'd take I-80 all the way to the Mississippi River, then use I-74 to join I-70 at Indianapolis. That's about the most direct possible route, while still avoiding the traffic and expensive tolls from Chicago through Pennsylvania.

If it looks like there will be a bad storm on I-80, and it looks like there will be better weather to the south, then heading down to I-40, and then cutting back up I-44 to I-70 at St. Louis is also a reasonable option. Those two options are close enough in distance, where your overall travel time won't be much different so take the route you like best, just don't assume you'll have better weather going south.