Thread: Road trip USA

1. Default Road trip USA

Hi Guys,

So basically my 2 mates and I are coming from Ireland to do a roadtrip of the states. Basically we want to hire a car/jeep and just drive around without the need to book into hotels. I was hoping for some advice or possibly a route that other might have done. What we want to do is start in NY and finish in LA.

We want to go down the east coast then from Florida to new Orleans , Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and then to California.

We are hoping to do this on a budget in roughly one month.

What do you think? Is it possible?

South of England.

Default Getting started.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Travelling without reservations is fine, but depending on when you are travelling and where you go will can make a difference in how easy availability will be. As with anywhere, in the height of the tourist season in a popular place your options will become more limited and any rooms left could be more expensive options.

I would suggest you purchase a good wall map of the USA and sit down together and find common ground on your interests and goals for the trip. Reading around the RTA site will throw up lots of info and ideas from trip reports in the forums to planning tips, routes and mapping in the tool bars above. There are thousands upon thousands of route options and even more attractions so it's real difficult to give any meaningful advice at this moment as we know nothing of your interests.

A mid-size car usually offers the best value and comfort combi for a rental, but if you are doing this on a budget, first you should know that you will be facing a one way drop off charge if you decide on a one way trip and secondly, if any of you are under 25 years of age you will have to pay a 'young drivers fee' for each person and for everyday of the rental which can add up to a lot !

I would get a few dots on the map and when you have made a start we can help fill in the blanks and ask any other questions you have.