Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Providence Rhode Island to Los Angles May 25th to June 8th -- advice needed

Hi ,

I am in US for a project and will be returning back to my home country soon. Driving coast to coast in US was in my bucket list and wants to fulfill it before I headback home.

I will be driving with my wife (she just got her US driving license) from Providence Rhode Island to Los Angles and mostly drive on I78. Two of my friends will join us from Denver till Las angles so we will have 4 drivers in our 2nd leg of journey.

Day 1 . Providence RI to Pittsburg. (target 560 miles )
    Day 2. Day in Stellar town (Pittsburg sightseeing) and night halt in Columbus Ohio. ( 185 miles )
    Day 3. Columbus -> Indianapolis Indiana (brief sightseeing of Indianapolis)-> St. Louis (450 miles. )
    Day 4. Day out in St. Louis and night halt at Columbia Missouri (124 miles. )
    Day 5. (Columbia Missouri -> Kansas city (brief sightseeing in Kansas city) -> Night halt at Junction city Kansas (260 miles drive)
    Day 6. Junction city to Denver (Around 500 miles. )
    Day 7th Denver sightseeing.
    Day 8th Rock mountain national park
    Day 9th Denver Moab UT ( small picnic at Rifle falls.)
    Day 10th Arches Nation Park Evening drive to Las Vegas. ( 460 miles. ).
    Day 11th . Day out in LAS Vegas.
    Day 12th Grand Canyon Nation Park and back . ( 260 miles )
    Day 13th 2nd Day our in Vegas and maybe hover dam
    Day 14th LV to Los Angels
    Day 15th ( night take flight back to providence from LAX )

Please suggest me the places that we could see , things we should avoide etc. as I am new to this country.

thanks in advance .

Ritz.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-15-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Fixed typography

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got a pretty good start to your planning - although I think you've got a few issues near the end of the trip where you've underestimated distances and travel times.

The two specific problem spots are Arches to Las Vegas - that's nearly a full day drive, and not something you can do in "an evening." The other issue is the Grand Canyon, that would be about 260 miles each way from Vegas, and being that it is a 500+ mile round trip, we strongly recommend an overnight near the Canyon, rather than doing it as a daytrip.

However, I think you've got an easy solution to solve both of those issues. Rather than going from Arches to Vegas and then backtracking to the Grand Canyon, you'd be much better off going from Arches then to the Grand Canyon and onto Vegas from there. You'd have a couple options, one would be to go from Arches, down to Monument Valley and then across to the Canyon, or you could head over past Bryce and Zion NP's before going down to the Canyon.

3. Default WOW .. that was super quick reply ..

Wow that was super quick reply . and you get it right Michael my did a wrong calculation. Thanks you very much for your suggestion.

I will read the maps again and plan our accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got a pretty good start to your planning - although I think you've got a few issues near the end of the trip where you've underestimated distances and travel times.

The two specific problem spots are Arches to Las Vegas - that's nearly a full day drive, and not something you can do in "an evening." The other issue is the Grand Canyon, that would be about 260 miles each way from Vegas, and being that it is a 500+ mile round trip, we strongly recommend an overnight near the Canyon, rather than doing it as a daytrip.

However, I think you've got an easy solution to solve both of those issues. Rather than going from Arches to Vegas and then backtracking to the Grand Canyon, you'd be much better off going from Arches then to the Grand Canyon and onto Vegas from there. You'd have a couple options, one would be to go from Arches, down to Monument Valley and then across to the Canyon, or you could head over past Bryce and Zion NP's before going down to the Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritz19 View Post
    Hi ,
    Day 4. Day out in St. Louis and night halt at Columbia Missouri (124 miles. )
    Day 5. (Columbia Missouri -> Kansas city (brief sightseeing in Kansas city) -> Night halt at Junction city Kansas (260 miles drive)
    From what I've been told, the Drury Inn at Columbia is a decent place to stay. The nice thing about Drury, unless they've changed in the last year, is that they offer not only breakfast in the morning, but a buffet dinner the night you get in.

If you decide not to do that, among good places for dinner in Columbia are Flat Branch and Bandana's.

What did you plan to see in KC?

Day 10th Arches Nation Park Evening drive to Las Vegas. ( 460 miles. ).
    What route were you planning to use? Going back up to I-70 and turn west, then south on I-15. But I would not do that after the day in Arches. You'll want to allot at least 5 to 6 hours in Arches. BTW, bring your own food -- once you are in Arches, there are no cafes, lunchrooms, or restaurants.

Day 12th Grand Canyon Nation Park and back . ( 260 miles )
    To the South Rim of the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas is about 275 miles ONE WAY. That would make it a 550 mile day drive, plus the time it takes to really see the Canyon. If it were me, I'd eliminate one day in Las Vegas, but you may have a different thought.

Donna
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-15-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Fixed typography

Default Some suggestions.

When you leave Denver for RMNP I would continue with an onward journey to Moab rather than add miles returning to Denver. IF it's open you could drive across the Trail Ridge Road through the park which just happens to be the highest continous paved road in the US and exit the park via Grand Lake.

When into Utah take US6 throgh Cisco and UT128 through Fisher Towers/Castle valley to Moab, it's a lovely drive through the red rocks alongside the river and doesn't add time to the 191 route, not thats worth mentioning anyway.

Stopping at the south rim of the Grand canyon NP is the way to go ! Most tours from Vegas go to the west rim on Indian lands and is nowhere near as spectacular ! From Moab I would go through Monument Valley with the time you have and perhaps stop at the Cameron Trading post near the east entry point on 64. [or stay in the park budget permitting] I would then stay the night in Williams and enjoy a day at the canyon before heading onto Vegas, visiting the Hoover Dam on route. That would give you some of the afternoon and night in Vegas before having to head to LA the following afternoon.

6. Default Thanks Donna

Thanks Donna for the nice suggestions.

I read the review of Drury Inn and it seems to be a nice place to stay.

We will definitely like to try out one of the two restaurant suggested by you.

As we have planned to spend 4-5 hours in KC... We might take a stroll in Downtown and check out few fountains. I will really appreciate if you can suggest things should see during our brief stay.

If the trail ridge road is open. then I will take that till I-70 and then south to I-15. and I have taken then note to stuff sufficient food and water .. :)

I am making alteration in plan . so I may cut a day in Vegas and spend a day in zion national park then to GC and then Vegas
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-16-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: quoting hotel website not needed or appropriate

7. Default thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    When you leave Denver for RMNP I would continue with an onward journey to Moab rather than add miles returning to Denver. IF it's open you could drive across the Trail Ridge Road through the park which just happens to be the highest continous paved road in the US and exit the park via Grand Lake.

When into Utah take US6 throgh Cisco and UT128 through Fisher Towers/Castle valley to Moab, it's a lovely drive through the red rocks alongside the river and doesn't add time to the 191 route, not thats worth mentioning anyway.

Stopping at the south rim of the Grand canyon NP is the way to go ! Most tours from Vegas go to the west rim on Indian lands and is nowhere near as spectacular ! From Moab I would go through Monument Valley with the time you have and perhaps stop at the Cameron Trading post near the east entry point on 64. [or stay in the park budget permitting] I would then stay the night in Williams and enjoy a day at the canyon before heading onto Vegas, visiting the Hoover Dam on route. That would give you some of the afternoon and night in Vegas before having to head to LA the following afternoon.
    Thanks Dave ..

keeping your and Michaels suggestion in mind I have made alteration to the 2nd leg of my plan.

Day 8th Rock mountain national park night halt at Edwards, Colorado (will take the Trail Ridge Road if its open)
    Day 9th Edwards CO early and cover Arches national park (will take US6 and 128) (night halt at Moab UT)
    Day 10th Moab – Zion NP via Bryce canyon ( night halt at Zion NP )
    Day 11th . Zion to Grand Canyon NP ( night halt at Williams )
    Day 12th Williams to Las Vegas via Hover Dam nightout at vegas.
    Day 13th Day/night out in Vegas
    Day 14th LV to LA
    Day 15th LA daytrip night flight to providence

Default North rim perhaps.

I think you might be under estimating drive times and just how big the parks are. What you are proposing is doable on paper, but will not leave you much time to enjoy the sites. If you want to see Bryce and Zion I would choose the North rim of the GC [should be open by then] and go from Moab to Bryce to North rim to Zion and then down I15 to Vegas. That would save close to 3 hours of driving.

From Zion to the South rim there is a detour in place that adds an extra hour [I think] to your journey due to a land slide along US89 which is going to be in effect for a long time to come. You are looking at close to 7 hours a day of driving over the 2 days from Moab and planning to visit 3 National Parks with your current plan, where 4 or 5 hours at each park is barely enough.

From Zion, the detour doesn't add much time, US-89A is open from Kanab to US-89 south of the slide.

Where are you planning on staying in Edwards? There 's not much there.

10. Default can i do a night camping in Bryce NP ?

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I think you might be under estimating drive times and just how big the parks are. What you are proposing is doable on paper, but will not leave you much time to enjoy the sites. If you want to see Bryce and Zion I would choose the North rim of the GC [should be open by then] and go from Moab to Bryce to North rim to Zion and then down I15 to Vegas. That would save close to 3 hours of driving.

From Zion to the South rim there is a detour in place that adds an extra hour [I think] to your journey due to a land slide along US89 which is going to be in effect for a long time to come. You are looking at close to 7 hours a day of driving over the 2 days from Moab and planning to visit 3 National Parks with your current plan, where 4 or 5 hours at each park is barely enough.

thanks for the suggestion Dave... I will reschedule my plan..

wanted to do a night camping in one of the parks in Canyon .. can you suggest which park should I do ? Will be get tents and other equipments for rent?