1. Default Chicago to New Hampshire in May

Hello!

my husband and I are flying to Chicago for a three-week vacation, then driving to New Hampshire.
    We'll keep going passing by NY all to DC.
    im considering staying in Indianapolis and Columbus, but that's all I have in mind!
    we are not so big on history and museums.

Please, help!

ps: we are looking for outdoors activities, shopping, dining etc.

Welcome to RTA!

You've given us a little bit to go on, since you said that you aren't much on history or museums.

First thing that popped into my head was "Indianapolis" and "May." You didn't say when in May, but please be aware that the Indy 500 is in Indianapolis on Sunday May 26. Personally, I would not want to be near there in the week proceeding or following that! You may want to be there, though, and I will offer this advice: get reservations NOW.

When I think of Chicago, I think of relatives and museums. Also, Brookfield Zoo. In Indiana, I think of Indiana Dunes State Park. Friends have told me about shopping in the Mishawaka-Goshen area, but I have no experience with that. Indiana has some beautiful state parks, too.

Columbus IN or Columbus OH?

Donna

Default Free and Scenic

If you are looking for a scenic, relaxed drive between Chicago and New Hampshire that will afford access to outdoor venues then there are a couple of routes that you should be looking into. The first is US-6 across northern Pennsylvania. Among other sites, it will pass by the Erie National Wildlife Refuge, the Allegheny National Recreation Area, the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, and various state and national forests. If you take it all the way to the eastern end of Pennsylvania, you'll be at the northern end of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Then, having cut northeastwards around the Catskills of lower New York on either I-88 or US-209, you would head east through Massachusetts on MA-2, the Mohawk Trail. The other great advantage of those routes? The avoid the incessant tolls of the Indiana Tollway, the Ohio Turnpike, the New York State Thruway and the Massachusetts Turnpike.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-13-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Default Another route

US-20 through northern Illinois is another interesting route off the tollways, especially in the vicinity of Middlebury where there is a large Amish community. It will not take you as far south as US-6. You could continue along US-20 to Fremont OH where it intersects with US-6 and continue along that through Pennsylvania, a recommended route.

Lifey

Lifey, I think you mean Middlebury IN, not IL.

Default Yup!!

IN..... IL.... Up there somewhere. :) Remember it fondly. Gotta get back there. Actually it goes through all three States there.... doesn't it?

(Glad someone's on the ball. Getting too cold here to think. Down to 17C.... not clear-thinking weather.)

Lifey

US-20 goes right through Chicago, but I recommend you avoid it till you get out of the Chicago metro area, somewhere east of Gary. It goes through some pretty congested and sketchy areas.