1. Default Roadtrip to California

Hello, I have a few questions regarding a roadtrip to california I am planning for this July.

I have never taken a roadtrip out of state, much less been out of Texas in my whole life.

What are the basic needs for a roadtrip?

What expenses besides the obvious ones could I be overlooking? (food, gas, transportation, luxurie, what else?)

California is a long trip, I am thinking of renting a car. I am 18 years old, I know you must be 25 to drive the rental. Is it illegal to rent a car under 25 or are there just additional fees involved? Any tips on this question to make this expense cheaper would be much appreciated!

Now that I think I've covered the questions about what I will need, lets cover other questions like attractions and good places to stop.

So I've found that a strait shot from Texas to Cali is roughly 1700-2000 Miles. The states I'll be passing through are Arizona and New Mexico. Again, I've never been out of Texas in my life. What is there to visit in these states? I'm trying to ask questions I can not find out by researching, so I wont ask about expenses here. I want opinions, what are your favorite attractions or what attractions have you heard of in New Mexico and Arizona?

I will be updating this post probably quite a bit in the future (as my roadtrip is planned for July, thats a good 4 months out of which I can find out as much about the places I will be traveling to). But for now, these are all the questions I have.

Anything I may have missed, or any experienced roadtrippers feel free to leave any pointers or tips you may have. They are all appreciated !

Default The dream.

Hi, and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum

The thought of planning a road trip is an exciting one, and even more so at 18. However, your biggest hurdle is going to be renting a vehicle. There are very few, if any companies who would rent a vehicle to anyone under 21. Furthermore, up until the age of 25 there is a not insignificant surcharge per day, which in some cases can almost double the cost of the rental.

On the other hand, keep the dream alive. If you do not have a car of your own, which could make this trip, look at making this a long term project. Not everything needs to be achieved before you turn 20. My first roadtrip was as a senior citizen. Now 123000 miles later, I have enough adventure and memories under my belt to fill several books.

Don't ever stop dreaming.

Lifey

If you are only 18, you are going to have to buy a car to do a road trip. The only place in the country where an 18 year old can rent a car is in New York, and you cannot leave the state with the car. It's also very expensive - about $100 a day.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

What expenses besides the obvious ones could I be overlooking? (food, gas, transportation, luxurie, what else?)
    I'm not sure what luxurie is supposed to be, but you'll also need to factor in lodging costs as well as money for general entertainment.

I am 18 years old, I know you must be 25 to drive the rental. Is it illegal to rent a car under 25 or are there just additional fees involved?
    There is nothing legally preventing you from renting a car at 18, what will stop you is rental car company policies, which generally forbid anyone under 21 from renting or driving their cars. Now, if you tried to drive a rental car that was in someone elses name for example, you'd be violating the terms of your rental contract, and that's where you'd run into things that are actually illegal.

I'm trying to ask questions I can not find out by researching, so I wont ask about expenses here. I want opinions, what are your favorite attractions or what attractions have you heard of in New Mexico and Arizona?
    I think you've got it quite backwards, attractions and things to do are exactly what you should be researching - and its about the easiest thing you can research. There are hundreds if not thousands of things you could see or do just in those two states, and that's where you should be starting your planning. There are some things that are pretty obvious, like the Grand Canyon for example, that would be on most people's list of favorites, but what is really important is what you are interested in.

Budgeting, both time and money, on the other hand are something that's a bit tougher to generically research, because that will depend upon so many variables, like where you plan to stay and what you plan to eat. It will also depend upon how long you are on the road. A "straight shot" to California without stopping to explore is going to take you 3-4 full days on the road, for example, but you could easily take much more depending how many things you want to stop and see.