Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Roadtrip Extravaganza!!!

Hello fellow road trippers, I'm planning a road trip extravaganza as you can see from the thread title and I would like some advice and suggestions about the trip.

My brother and I plan on starting our trip from Crozet, VA and heading on over to drive the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, VA, from there we plan to go to Washington, D.C. and then on up to Philadelphia, PA, then to New York City, NY, then to Boston, MA. From there keep North to Acadia National Park, ME and then to Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park, ME, then down to Niagra Falls, NY then to Chicago, IL then set West to Badlands National Park, SD then to Yellowstone National Park, WY then up to Glacier National Park, MT to wrestle a grizzly or 2 before heading further West to Seattle, WA and then Olympic National Park, WA to finally see the Pacific Ocean! From there head south on US Route 101 down the coast of Washington and Oregon until merging onto State Route 1 in California down to San Francisco, CA then jump back on State Route 1 down to Los Angeles, CA and then to Newport Beach, CA, then to Death Valley National Park, CA. From there start back East to Grand Canyon National Park, AZ then to Zion National Park, UT then over to Monument Valley, UT. Then head down to Houston TX, then over to see Oak Alley Plantation in Vacherie, Louisiana before arriving in New Orleans, LA to enjoy some of that world class gumbo. After filling up on gumbo and sweet tea, head South to Miami Beach, FL then down to Key West, FL to scuba dive in the crystal clear water. From there start back North to Atlanta, GA before finishing trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway from North Carolina up through Virginia.

My brother and I will be driving my 2002 Kia Rio, we plan on sleeping in my car for much of the trip and eating dollar menu to make the trip cost as little as possible. I've calculated the trip to be around 11,500 miles, I get 27 MPG and at a national average of 3.68 dollars per gallon that leads us to $1,567 for the price of gas for this trip. Some questions I have are, would you recommend sleeping at truck stops or camp grounds? Any suggestions for what type of food is good to take on the road? How much do think this trip should cost us total? Do you think this trip can be done in about a month with time to enjoy these destinations? Do you have any suggestions for other places along the way to visit or must see attractions in the area's listed? Thanks for any and all advice!
    Last edited by VirginiaMountainMan; 03-30-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Is budget a huge factor?

If not, I'd get at least a tent and sleeping bags - sleeping in a Rio is going to be mighty uncomfortable after a few nights.

Also, budget your gas based on your actual projected miles in expensive places and the less expensive places. A good chunk of your trip is going to be in places with $4.00+ a gallon and some places, even in states with a high average are even higher - last year I needed gas in Big Sur - $6.50 a gallon (I kid you not)......I put in 2 gallons to make sure I could get to Carmel. I usually calculate gas cost at $4.00 a gallon to be on the safe side.

With 11,500 miles projected, also budget in oil-lube-filter stops - you're going to need them and I'd have a reserve set aside and a AAA membership just in case! You definitely want to take care of your car as needed when you're on the road.

So far as food - you could tuck a camping stove in the trunk, little propane tanks are available almost everywhere when you need more. That way you can grill stuff, like burgers, chicken, sausage, etc., along with ears of corn, potatoes, etc. A quick stop at a nearby grocery store as you're getting hungry makes doing that cheaper than restaurants and you control your ingredients.

A cooler in the car is also a good way to keep things cold and have snacks and food on hand. Picking up bread and deli meats, etc. makes lunch or even dinner pretty easy. Breakfast you could do easy stuff, like cereal, or grill on your portable stove?

Also back to budget - campgrounds cost money to stay, so you'll want to budget that in too - some are cheap, others not. It may wind up costing about the same to do budget hotels and have real beds at night and not need to pack a ton in the car with you? Many hotels have loyalty incentives like free nights - last summer I took advantage of both Holiday Inn and Best Western stay 2 get 1 deals. If you pay for the cheaper places,then use the free on an expensive location, it's a good deal.

I'm assuming you'll be on the road a while? How long to do you have planned for this amazing looking trip? A trip like this can be $8,000 or more than $20,000 - you'd have to have a range to start with to see if it's doable or not within what you want to spend, so it's hard to say how much it will be.

Using a round number - if you're doing 11,500 total, and average 175 miles a day, you're looking at 65 days.

Gas, 11,500/23 (you get 27 highway, less city) = 500 gallons x 4 = $2,000
    Hotels, 64 nights @ $70 average = $4,480
    3x oil-lube-filter @ 33 = $100
    AAA membership 1 year = $75
    Food, daily $50 for 2 x 65 = $3,250
    National Park Pass = $80
    Entrance fees/admissions ~$2000

Who knows? The above is already like $12,000

Good luck!

This site is helpful for gas prices:

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

RahRah I think it says in the original post that the time frame is about one month.

John

Default Sorry to be the bearer of bad news........

Welcome to RTA!

Do you think this trip can be done in about a month with time to enjoy these destinations?
    Absolutely not! That would be driving 400 miles a day, EVERY DAY. You are going to have to scale the trip WAY back or at least DOUBLE your time.

Quote Originally Posted by john.waters View Post
    RahRah I think it says in the original post that the time frame is about one month.

John
    Oh, that's gonna be tough to do in a month (30 days) - that's close to 400 miles a day, which is like 8 hours driving a day - where is the time for sightseeing and rest?

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

Absolutely not! That would be driving 400 miles a day, EVERY DAY. You are going to have to scale the trip WAY back or at least DOUBLE your time.

So agree with you!

8. Default

I see, so maybe this would be better as a full Summer trip compared to trying to jam it in, in just one month.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RahRah View Post
    Gas, 11,500/23 (you get 27 highway, less city) = 500 gallons x 4 = $2,000
    Hotels, 64 nights @ $70 average = $4,480
    3x oil-lube-filter @ 33 = $100
    AAA membership 1 year = $75
    Food, daily $50 for 2 x 65 = $3,250
    National Park Pass = $80
    Entrance fees/admissions ~$2000

Who knows? The above is already like $12,000

Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply and all the information within. Just curious though, you have the entrance fees/admissions priced at $2000, but wouldn't the $80 National Park Pass cover the entrance/admissions fees?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.

That would be a wonderful full summer trip, but you are going to have to budget at least $10k. 2 people sleeping in a Rio will get old in about a week unless you are both midgets. The only safe (and legal) place to sleep in your car free is in a truck stop.

The $80 pass only covers admission to US national parks.