Thread: A viable route?

RoadTripper_Jo2 Guest

Default A viable route?

We are planning a road trip around the USA sometime in the summer over the next few years. We are in the very early stages of planning but would love to know if what

The map is from roadtripusa.com. We plan to start in New York City, heading West along the route 7, south on route 1, east on route 10 , south on route 6, looping back up north on route 6, north on route 5 and then either:
    east on route 8 or route 7. We are planning on ending our trip in either New York City (so a full loop) or Philadelphia.

Thank you for both of us!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-26-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Default There are Many More Than 11 Roads in America

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The major problem with you plan is that you are limiting yourself to a few routes, chosen by somebody else and for reasons that have little to do with what is to be found along their lengths. At this point you should not have excluded ANY of the thousands of roads available to you in America. Rather, instead of roads, you should be concentrating on what you want to see, plot those out on a good paper map, and then see what roads happen to connect them.

AZBuck

Jamie's stuff from the book/website roadtripusa is prefect fine, if it is used right. By all means use the book/website to generate ideas for what you'd want to do.

My problem, is that it leads far too many people to think exactly like you have, and think that there are only a dozen or so different roadtrips in the US and/or that those preselected routes are the best that america has to offer.

A Roadtrip is about having the freedom to go where you want to go, do what you want to do, and see what you want to see. If you just want to follow someone elses footsteps, then take a guided tour! If you want to really see what a roadtrip is all about, get out a big map of the US and take a look at the thousand upon thousands of options - not just the 12 that someone else has preselected.

RoadTripper_Jo2 Guest

This is by no means a set route but is just the rough direction we want to travel in. We more than likely will divert from the routes tens of times to see specific things we want to see but this map just gives us a basic outline of our trip.

What do you guys thing is essential viewing along the rough route above?
    Thanks!
    Joe.

I think you missed the point of our previous advice: Figure out what you want to see first, then the roads and the route will come naturally.

In other words, If you don't know the essential things you want to see, why are you going to follow the rough route above?

Right now, you're talking about a trip that is covering basically the entire US, with millions of potential places to stop. Until you've figured out your own essential stops, we really don't have much of starting point to work from and help you narrow your focus onto what you are interested in.

RoadTripper_Jo2 Guest

We had ideas of what we wanted to see and they turned out to be at the four corners of the US, so we decided to do a trip around it. We need to figure out specific things between these four points.

Well what are those things that you are building your trip around?

You've given us nothing to work with here, other than the roadtripusa routes, and if you're just going to follow those, then that book/website along should help you find lots of stops along those roads.

We can only help you as much as you help yourself here, and we have no idea at all what you are looking for. We don't believe in generic must sees, and any good trip is going to start with you figuring out the major focus points of your trip.

Default What is the purpose of this trip?

As well as the book/website of Road Trip USA, do you actually have a large (wall size) map of the US? What interests you most on that map? Have you made a list of the sights you want to see? As has been mentioned several times above, you need to focus on the attractions, and not on the route. The route comes last, when you have decided which cities, national parks or querky tourist attractions most appeal to you. (I too have Jamie's book, and use it, but only when I find myself on a given route he has written, just to see what points of interest he may mention.)

You need to give the members here some idea of what the purpose of this trip is. Have you actually written that down, along with a list of your interests and attractions you wish to visit?

Lifey

Default Research.

You will find Lots of ideas searching around the forums and in the tool bars above, where you will find routes attractions and the RTA mapping programs where you can search for attractions across the USA which have been hand picked by RTA contributors.

I would advise that you follow what has already been said and actually look for places that you want to visit, the things that stand out to you and your tastes and mark them on the map. Once you have the dots on the map you can work on joining them up with routes that also appeal to you. Forget your route numbers for now and focus on places you want to visit. The USA is huge and it's a little like asking what should I see between France and Italy and then into Greece and Germany, there are just too many options with such vague information.

You have lots of time to research and make notes and it's not unusual for a trip to change shape completely and a number of times from the early planning stages. The planning and day dreaming is half the fun because you are making the trip unique to you and your girlfriend. Sure, we will be happy to answer questions as your plans unfold, make suggestions and fill in some blanks but you need to take those first steps for yourself. There is never a single 'best' of anything that's for the individual to decide.

To answer your initial question is impossible as well. Is it viable ? That will largely depend on how long you have for the trip, or for how long your budget can last. If you are under 21 when you travel it's nigh on impossible to rent a car and between 21 and 25 years of age there is quite a hefty young drivers surcharge for everyday of your rental period, and if two of want to drive it will double. More importantly, the route is only workable if it takes you where you want to go and they are the things you need to concentrate on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Callon View Post
    This is by no means a set route but is just the rough direction we want to travel in. We more than likely will divert from the routes tens of times to see specific things we want to see but this map just gives us a basic outline of our trip.

What do you guys thing is essential viewing along the rough route above?
    Thanks!
    Joe.
    Joe,

I am not trying to be difficult, but what is "essential viewing" depends on your interests. For example, I am a mathematician in my day life and I like to try to stop by MSRI in the Berkeley hills when in the Bay Area - for me it is a "must-see" ; for anyone else, not so much. As another example, I am very much a fan of factory tours - especially food-based ones. I went out of my way to see the Jelly Belly factory (in N. Cal.) and the Ben & Jerry's factory (in VT), etc. My daughter is obsessed with horses, so we have gone to Bluegrass country a couple of times and no doubt will again shortly (plus, I can drop by a new bourbon distillery each trip).

On the other hand, I ave no real interest in night life, clubbing, etc. so a lot of places don't really interest me.

What is it that interests you? A lot of people here have been around quite a bit and might be able to give a bit of guidance if they have something to work with.

Hope this helps,
    Jon